Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool is heard around my neighborhood

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DaemonBass, Jun 5, 2004.

1. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Um, this really isn't a question or anything. Just felt like sharing my excitment around the board if anyone cares ;)

Tool is my favorite band and justin chancellor my favorite bassist. Ever since I started I wanted to learn some Tool stuff. Now, finally, 5 years or so odd into it, I just learned Schism, Fortysix and 2, Aenima and The Patient within a few days. Up until now I could not have played this stuff now I can nail most of it, and from my knowledge of chords and time I can fake the rest pretty decently. I know that I have learned a lot from this site and also activebass.com there are a lot of good advice floating around to be had.

Anyways, I'm pretty stoked. Have a nice day :cool:

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Well done, sir. It's always a good feeling to conquer challenging material. Congrats!

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Kudos to you man. Well done :)

4. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    The way I usually practice is part by part, normally I can subdivide a bass part into a few different specific parts. Then I practice each part as a seperate entity until I can play it at tempo and with the proper feel. Right now though I think my biggest weakness is switching seamlessly between parts. Some parts not so hard to switch, some are just insane right now for me. But the switching of time signatures in Tool songs is not really any big deal, even though the time signature may switch there is some common bond between them, like a shifting of focal notes within the same line. Once you get the basic rythmn down you just accent different notes. That is very tool specific though. Tool lines are like a clock, at least thats how they sound to me. A clock ticking. But these dudes are "coal - into -diamonds tight."

5. i couldn't agree more man. tool is def a revolutionary band and deserves more praise than they get.

also, for blending yer separated lines together, try doing 2 or 3 lines together at a time, going slowly then picking up pace. pretty soon u'll have the whole song down pat.

fourtysix and two was the first tool song i learned then i just fell inlove with the writing style. dont miss the chance if u ever get to c them in concert.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just kindof curious, are you an A Perfect Circle fan as well? I love them both, never thought of playing the bass lines, but I just played 46 & 2 :p. Rockin' stuff...

Ray

Edit: Ok, read your sig, nevermind :p.

7. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Waow! five years to learn that much tool? i dont mean to cause offence or sound big headed but i nailed most of lateralus in the space of a month.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Playing the 13/4 part of Schism w/ a metronome is pretty challenging.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You clearly didn't read his post. He wanted to learn tool when he started playing 5 years ago, couldn't, and then picked up 4 Tool songs in the last few days. I don't care who you are, 4 Tool songs in "a few days" is pretty damn good.

10. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    yeah i know i mis-read, but i think you mean 'you clearly didnt read his post PROPERLY' i did read it or i wouldnt have replied. :)

11. 13/4 or (any odd meter for that matter) is really not all that difficult. Try breaking it up. 4/4, 4/4, 5/4

I count it

I do all odd meters that way. For example, the beginning of Yes' "Changes" is 5/8 then 7/8 (12/8) but I count it 1,2,3...1,2...1,2,3...1,2...1,2 that's the way the accents fall...you could count it 1,2...1,2,3...1,2...1,2...1,2,3...but that would be counterpoint to the music.

start slow and keep it EVEN and get comfortable with the feel.