Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chimp, Dec 28, 2004.

1. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    What tools would i need to start a bass from scratch (not parts built) also a link here and there would be good so if i dont know what it is i can read up on it.
  2. drill (with a drill guide), router and a bunch of bits (must have!), saber saw (one that can cut straight 90 deg, not that yellow brand), I like to use a japanese ryoba saw for my straight saw, chisel and a couple of gauges, straight edge (at least 18"), definetly at least 2 hand planes (smoother and block), a bunch of rasps and files, and I like to shape my neck with a spokeshave.

you can build any instrument with these.

You should definetly buy either Martin Koch's building electric guitars, or melvin hiscock's make your own electric guitar
  3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
  4. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    What are you looking for in terms of toolage? Do you just wanna be a "backyard builder", and use the basics, like a router, jigsaw, planes, chisels, , rasps, spokeshave, sandpaper, or are you interested in setting up a dedicated shop?

In either case, a good router is really a must, in particular a plunge router. I have a combo pack router, it comes with a fixed base and a plunge base, and 1/4" & 1/2" collets. A selection of round-over bits and straight/plunge/template bits is also necessary.

In terms of tools in my shop, I find a stationary beltsander indespencable, as well as a bandsaw. A drillpress is also very useful, at least a 13" or so is required to hit the bridge post holes (depending on design of instrument), sanding drums can be used with this as well.

Other tools usefull in my shop are my jointer and thickness sander, but tonewood suppliers often offer joining and thicknessing services for a fee.

EDIT: HERE is something I wrote up a while ago for another forum, it's not totally finished, but it may help.
  5. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Like Hambone once said, my #1 tool has become my new stool-seat. You just gotta sit down once in a while, and think. I've also used it to glue, saw, cut, beat things on, as a ladder, but more importantly, it's where I sit and think/ponder about what I am doing as I stare at my pieces.

I also love my oscillating spindle sander. You can get em at Home Depot here for $100. (Delta, I believe)
    I use sureforms (sp?) a lot too. Gotta have a good router, band saw, planer, drill press, joiner, as mentioned above.
    and lastly, you need GOOD LIGHTING!!!!
    Bright doesn't necessarily mean good.
    respirator, mask, goggles, protection. Maybe some OVERALLS!
    Patience is nice, too.
  6. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    well there is cyurrently not one south african bass builder so at this time im at bording school where weve got a pretty decent workshop i was thinking of just getting myself into it as a hobby and mabe later sell a few in south africa. thanks for that link
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Need? You mean need? ;)

You need patience, as mentioned.
    You need a straight saw (japanese razor saws are great) and a saw for curves, e.g. a power jig saw or a band saw.
    You need a drill. And, if you are to get one power tool only, make it a drill press! Straight holes are worth anything, and you can use it for a lot of other purposes.
    You need clamps, for gluing and for holding your piece while working on it.
    Files and chisels of all kinds will be used frequently.

A router would be the second improvment option, after the drill press.
    I have a router, but not a drill press (no room for it). IME, I'd rather have it the other way.

Get Martin Koch's book 'Build your own guitar'. IMO the best, tells you all about building and shows what to use.