1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Top Pickup Cuts Out on Pbass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dan Kae Bass, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Dan Kae Bass

Dan Kae Bass

Dec 7, 2015
    Hi there!

I was hoping for some help. The top pickup on my Precision Bass seems to be cutting in and out. When it cuts out the E string is silent, A is very quite, and D & G are fine.

I opened it up, looks like all the solder joints are fine and connected. Took the housing off the top pickup and it appears the white lead is really close to the coil.

If the solder point touches the coil would it short or something? Kinda stumped here, don't know much about electronics. Would appreciate any help!

Stay groovy!!!
    DK

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Assuming conventional wiring, it is not your pickup. The segments of the pickup are wired in series to one another so if you had an intermittent fault you would lose all output, not just the bottom half. I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

3. Dan Kae Bass

Dan Kae Bass

Dec 7, 2015
    The reason I think its the pickup is because when it does cut, I still get a signal from the higher strings. If I give the lower pickup a little knock I hear a *pop* and then it has a signal again.

I was running it through my Sans Amp straight to my audio interface. Are Sans Amps known to cut out lower frequencies?