1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Torn between La Bella 760 FS or FL.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Muyy, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Muyy

Muyy

Sep 4, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    I have a P bass my friend and I put together and we threw some Rotosound 77's on it. I thought maybe it took some time to break them in but I decided they just have too much tension and not enough give to really fit my playing. So, I started looking at La Bella's to get that Jamerson sound everyone wants. The problem is I want a set with less tension than the 77's but that seems pretty subjective. I'm used to Rotosound 66's on my other basses and I would like a set of flats with a little give. Should I go all the way down to the FL's or would the FS's be enough of a tension drop to feel good?

2. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    take the FL. the set 45 and 49 from Labella are not that good. their "signature sets" are the FX, FL and Jamerson, with a specific and preicse gauge choosen for balance in tension and sound.

Levin, Muyy and michael_t like this.
  3. Muyy

Muyy

Sep 4, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    Cool, I was leaning pretty hard towards the FL's. There really isn't too much of a gauge difference between the FL's and the FS's but I figured every little bit of help counts. Thanks!

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    yeah FL for sure, i've had the FS a couple times and it was tense. FL is nice.

Muyy likes this.
  5. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I like the FS, but the FL is good too, it's a tough call for me.

Muyy likes this.
  6. Muyy

Muyy

Sep 4, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    You guys convinced me, gonna pick up a set of FL's. I'll post back here for anyone else wondering.

7. The FL for me for sure. Looking at the gauges, it should be nicely balanced without being too heavy and stiff.

In fact, I already have a brand new set ready to go. I just have to go find a decent P bass to put them on. :D

PawleeP and Muyy like this.
  8. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I put a set of FLs on my Sandberg VS4 6 weeks ago, they are sounding nice now. Expecting a set of FS anytime from BSOL.

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    FL, less tension & less stiff than Chrome ECB81, almost same as 9050L.

michael_t likes this.
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If you are currently using a conventional set of 45's rounds, whether nickel-plated or stainless steel, there will be less of a tension uptick, and I dare say an easier transition, to the FL's 43-104 than the FS 45-105.

11. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    I've had a FL set on one of my P basses since 2001, they're great.

Bassically, Michael

12. I've just spent $90 on some TI's and they are too light. I like the sound of the Labella 760FM but want a lighter tension.
    I can't find any recordings comparing the FM, FS, FL do they have the same tone?

13. Out of the three mentioned, I've only tried the 760FL. My 58-yr-old semi-arthritic left hand can't handle anything too tense any more but I found the FL quite manageable without sacrificing the classic La Bella thump on my Am Std P. Highly recommended.

14. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I had all 3 and they had the same labella sound.

Klonk likes this.
  15. No one mentioned the Labella LTF-4A (Low Tension Flat-Long Scale). Nice strings. I've got them on one Precision, and 760FS on the other.
    Night and day as far as feel/stiffness is concerned. The LTFs are round core vice the 760FS hex core.
    As to sound? They both sound like Labella flats.

PawleeP likes this.
  16. @fenderVI already said TI's were too light. The La Bella Low Tension Flats may be too close to the TI's, while the 760FL would be what I call "happy medium".

PawleeP likes this.
  17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I use the FS (45-105) set because after trying both the next gauge lower (43-104) and the next one higher (49-109) I decided the 43 was too floppy and the 109 too thuddy. I found my happy medium with the 45-105 (I try not using the "F" designations because I find it confusing to remember and it's just easier for me to know the gauge...I wind up recommending the wrong set to fellow TB'ers). I think the 45-105 DTF (FS) is probably the best damn flat out there with regards to tension, balance, output and consistency. I used to use TI's and GHS P flats exclusively and find them to be the perfect balance. Plus, I've never once gotten a bad string from them. When it comes to the feel (tightness) I find them to have more flex than GHS of same gauge and WAY more flex than Dadarrio, which I like.

I have started buying mine from a dealer in Chicago because there seems to be supply issues every time I try to get them from BSO. The last three times I tried to order, they didn't have them and each inquiry was at least weeks apart:(

Klonk likes this.
  18. These aren't TIs.
    Folks say that TIs are rather floppy.
    The Labella LTFs are not.

PawleeP likes this.
  19. Thanks Michael, I've heard the FL's they do sound nice are the D & G strings easy to pop? I play quite firmly and the TI's pop too easily.

20. Sorry, I don't know anything about popping. (Or slapping, for that matter)

So do I. And what I like about the La Bella 760FL is they're not so stiff as to be too hard on my fretting hand but stiff enough not to go all wimpy and squishy under my plucking fingers when I dig in. Does that make sense?