1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tough decision to make...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Aug 22, 2012.

1. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Buy a used Schecter Diamond P 5 for $300, or get a NEW one for $140 more? I have an opportunity to pick up a steal on this bass but here's the pros and cons.

Pro: I can save alot of money

Con: It's the least favorite color out of the 3 available. It's BLUE and I REALLY wanted WHITE.

Pro: It feels light as a feather, and that's a HUGE plus for me.

Con: It's USED, and I've never owned a Schecter before.

Pro: I can pick it up on Friday, where if I order one NEW it will take about 2 weeks.

So what would YOU do?
    315z6p9Rb0L._SL500_AA300_.
    318dV9QS60L._SL500_AA300_.

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    get the color you really wanted... so you don't wind up spending the new price later and take the hit on re-selling the color you didn't want.

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Yup

Get the one you want ...

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I hear ya. Here's the tough part. What if I get the one I really want and it weighs 12 pounds? I've heard that its a crap shoot, as these basses seem to be on the heavy side.

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Return it

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Mail order, and if there's nothing wrong with the bass there's a 15% restocking fee.

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    My thoughts...

Weight is a crap shoot and the bass being blue won't stop you from playing it for a 3 hour gig. The bass weighing 11 lbs will.

You don't know if this bass is gonna work for you yet. Buying at 300 you're not going to lose much, if any, when you resale. Hell, i've been considering one and would probably buy it from you. :D

I'd replace the black guard no matter what color I bought.

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Tort? :)

Also another thing is that I actually spoke with Schecter, and they are willing to pick the lightest WHITE one that they have in stock out of about 20 basses.

I do agree about the resale value. That is another Pro for the USED Blue.

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    If they are willing to do that can't they tell you the weight before you buy it?

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Well the tech I spoke to at Schecter said he pulled 2 random, and one weighed 10.6 lbs, and the other was 10.4.

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Buy the used one unless getting your preffered color is worth the extra $140.

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Then yank a wire out and say it quit working.

13. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Problem solved

14. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Well it looks like I'm going for the used Blue. It's just too tough to pass up, plus the argument about resale value is a very valid point. If I don't LOVE it,I can get my money back 100%

15. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I picked it up after work tonight. I will have pics up tomorrow. Didn't get a chance to really try it with my rig. Got home too late, and my 2 year old daughter needs to go to bed. More tomorrow!

16. You wanted an opinion? You got it. Find an OLD SCHOOL, 80's Schecter bass. Seriously, those old Schecter basses kicked Fender (and ANY Fender clones, for that matter) ass up one side of the block and back. Oh, and TWICE ON SUNDAYS!!

Don't believe me? Ask some old-timers, or a younger player that's smart or fortunate enough to have owned (or played) one of those beasts. Simply AMAZING basses!! Begin the hunt NOW, grasshopper!!

17. Would this thought fall under the, "Great minds think alike" moniker? :bag:

18. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    image-307920492.

image-961280584.

The color shifts from blue to gun metal grey.

19. Congrats. From where I'm sitting you made the right choice.
    My god, $300? Sooooooo the right choice. Congrats again.

20. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Yeah, the price made it a no brainer.