Toughest Bass Cover

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ackeim, Sep 18, 2005.

1. ackeim

Nov 10, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Anyone have a tip on the toughest, strongest, most protective bass cover? (besides a trunk?) I have had the kolstein one for about sixmonths and it is almost dead. and my bass doesn't look so good either, heavy traveling and road use is taking its toll!
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've had a Kolstein for about 5 years of NYC subway and road travel. Mine didn't really sart to show its age until about year 3. How'd you do that in 6 months?

Anyhow -- Reunion Blues was the best for quite a while, but talking to a friends who's nuts about his learned that they are now farming the construction out to China or something and are a pale shadow of what they used to be.

I'm following this thread as I'm in need of a new bag myself. I wonder if any of the manufacturers give endorsements? :)
  3. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Mooradian makes a heavy version of their case, right? I used to have one of those.. the thing was like super-padded kevlar.
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Messina (Athens, Ohio) makes a really tough bag, imho. Thick, tightly woven cordura and strong stitching. And, unlike Mooradian, the padding and bag doesn't absorb moisture when in rains outside.

(sorry to sound spammy... I think they are great bags...)
  5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I just ordered a Soundwear Performer for $419 after seeing some good impresions about it and a recommendation from a TBer. I'm sticking with the "you get what you pay for" adage. Although I'm nowhere near being a heavy gigging bassist like summa youse, but I take the bass out of the house often for jams and practicing at my studio. Plus, I'm a total clutz so I need all the protection I can get.

After 8 months, I'm in the process of tearing all the handles & strap mounts off my current bass bag. The amount of padding is just enough to prevent most dings but I want something beefier. I can post a review once I get a hold of it.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I'll second that. I have abused mine fairly thoroughly and the Shen is still in decent order. They are tough for sure.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A second vote for the Soundwear. Mine came with my bass, and I have grown to love it. I especially like the extra padding and the key rubberized points that don't allow the bag to absorb water.
  8. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Try to find one of the original Reunion Blues bags. There's got to be a shop somewhere with the old bags, it wasn't that long ago that things changed. It's the best bag I've seen.
  9. greg garrison

greg garrison

Apr 12, 2005
    don't buy a TKL. i had one, and all of the hardware and stitching was done within a year. i've had a mooradian for about 3 years now, and i'm very pleased.
  10. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    soundwear! i've been beating the crap outta mine for over a year and not a mark on it! backpack straps are sweet.
  11. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Evening all,

I'm using a Protec bag (about $220) that I've had for 5 years. It's not up to par with the old Reunion Blues bags but it was less than half the price way back when.

What I like about this bag is the fact that the inner foam can be replaced, if needed. I've had to replace one handle and repair another and that's it. My bass get hauled around about 6-7 times per month (that's gigs and jams included).

Considering the volumous amounts of money to be made playing bluegrass bass, I'm pretty tickled with this bag.
  12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I just looked at the Soundwear bags online and it doesn't appear to have a bow pocket. There's also 3 models (professional, performer, and protector). Otherwise, it looks like a nice bag.
  13. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I also am having issues with my Kolstein cover. I bought my bass about a year ago and my cover is in horrible shape. The zippers on all the pockets except the smallest one are broken, the strap is broken on both ends. One end is tried to the ring, the other is attached with a souviner carabeaner. There are also alot of pencil sized holes areound the edges.

Is it possible that he outsourced the case production? I keep seeing older (than me) guys with K covers that are in working shape after 5+ years, Ray you mentioned yours held up fine for 3. Anyone else have light to shed?
  14. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    The descriptions say it does. It looks like it's stylishly hidden away on the front in that common bow pocket area. I'll be able to confirm when it arrives.
  15. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm a putz. Soundwear has a website (duh!): Took me a while to realize that it wasn't coming up on the Google searches. Looks like they're made in Germany.

You can take closer look at the photos of the 3 bag models. Looks like the performer is just like the professional, only that it has a less beefy backpack strap system and no briefcase among other things. There's a inset photo on the "Professional" page that shows a bow and a bow case going into the same pouch on the front or something.
  16. Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    My previous case was a soundwear bag, the mid-range one, and I have to say i didn't like it. The design looked good, but within 1 year the little straps that connect the shoulder straps to the neck to make it easier to walk broke, and the zipper for the pocket on the back broke. After another 6 months, the shoulder strap ripped off on one side while walking - luckily I had both hands on the case at the time, otherwise i'd have surely done damage.

That said, a friend of mine bought the same case at the same time, and had very little trouble. Heavy cases, though.

The case I'm using now is the Mooradian 'deluxe' model. i have absolutely no complaints, and am much happier. I consider it a much sturdier, simper design, and is lighter than the Soundwear bag I had too.
  17. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Bobelock also makes a good bag, similar to Mooradian.
    The old Reunion Bags are great, but they weigh more than the bass. JR Music has a new one with plenty of handles and built in wheels.
  18. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Had the reunion blues...bigger stiffer then the bass...just try and stuff that puppy under a piano. My mooridian (which I still use) popped a side strap about 8 years ago just as I was getting the bass out at a gig. The bass fell neck snapped off...I called mooridian, they told me it was my fault. I'll never buy another one of those no matter what. I'm looking for something new too, there has gotta be something between a reunion blues and a mooridian? Charlie Haden's Very old reunion blues was great, not too stiff but really well padded. I was thinking about the sound design, but I hate paying exchange rates (when they aint in my favor)...Gunna check out all suggestions here...
  19. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Ok so it just came in the mail at work and I had a chance to take a closer look at it. It's a pretty neat bag. It's much beefier than my Bob G. bag (of course it costs more than 3 times as much). This is what I noticed:

1) The handles on the sides are not only sewn but RIVETED, as is the beefy D-Ring that is used to connect the shoulder strap on. The the bottom handle isn't. It's simply sewn into the seams. There are 3 handles down the centerline of the bag in case the photos weren't clear.
    2) The amount of padding seems to be the same as my Bob G. bag, but I think this padding is much denser.
    3) Like in the photos, there's lots of rubber panels. Seems pretty tough to me.
    4) Not only is there a big bow pocket on the front, but it's sewn so that it has it's own channel or sock that has the same padding as the rest of the bag. This cushions the bow away from the top of the bass when the bass is inside.
    5) There seems to be a decent amount of padding coverage on the edges of the bag, so you'll get less dings on the edges of the bass.
    6) The coolest feature on the bag is the to pocket that sits on the front of the pegbox. It's the inset photo from the soundwear website. On the inside, there's two smaller velcro'ed pockets that sits on top of one big zippered pocket, along with two pencil caddies.
    7) I dig how the big zipper on the side goes over the top of the bass. No more having to lift the bag over the scroll to get it on. The ceiling in my studio is very low, so it makes it a pain sometimes.
    8) Unlike the photos on the website, both the scroll pocket and bottom pocket open up to the SIDE of the base, not the top - making it easier to get stuff in/out when the bass is lying down.
    9) To agree with SARAHCONNOR, the point where the backpack straps are sewn in doesn't exactly look like it's strong enough to withstand alot of abuse. I'm going to be a little more conscious when I use the bag this way. However, there's some extra padding thats wrapped around the backpack straps that look nice.

I'm looking forward to trying this thing at home. Anybody in SF (*nudge Piro*) is welcome to check out the bag before they plunk down the 420 clams for this thing. I can do photos if someone requests it.

EDIT: I just put it on when I got home. Man is it beefy! With the bass inside, it's heavy but feels really solid. Fits my bass pretty snug too. Makes the padding on my old bag feel kinda cheap. The backpack straps are really comfy with the whole thing on. Looks like a keeper! :)
  20. 61pollmann

61pollmann Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    I vote for Reunion Blues. It's got very dense padding and great handles. I think I lucked out last year and got a close-out on an older one from Music 123 for $230.00. They listed it as "C" stock, however it looked like it had never been used. The only downside is the weight. It is very heavy. I am willing to deal with the weight because the high density padding offers better protection. I don't know if the newer bags are the same.