Traben Phoenix 5-string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bloodfairy13, Nov 8, 2005.

1. bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    so...I'm considering saving up for a Traben Phoenix blood red...I lke the look...but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how well it played...I'm not a I don't need a beginner's bass...because I have one...

so yeah..I was just wondering about opinions on the Traben Phoenix 5...Thanks ahead for any comments...
  2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    medicore at best. I'd recommend looking at a MIM jazz or P bass. I beleive they're in the same price range. You may alos want to look at schecter, that make some great basses
  3. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio can do better within that price range. +1 on Shecter, and spectors lower end models as well.
  4. I have a Traben Chaos 5 string and for the money it is an excellent purchase at twice the price I paid for mine.
    It's a little middy in tone than what I'm used to, kind of like a MM. The B string is loud and proud. I'm still getting used to it and I use it as my second bass at gig's.
    However whenever I play it at gig's (I gig almost every Friday and Saturday) I get alot of other players commenting on how much they like the tone. It sure looks different than anything else I own.

All in all it's well made and put together very nice. Great neck joint. Mine came with Grover tuners as well. Plays like a dream.

Now I believe the electronics and PUP's are the same on the Phoenix. I think the phoenix is neck thru? The chaos is a bolt on.

How much is it going for?
    (I only paid $249.00 for my Chaos :D )
  5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I drove about 2 hours to go play a Traben when I was in the market. Not worth the gas by a long shot.

The playability was decent at best but the tone was beyond unusable. I could not find one decent tone to choose from. You would have to rip out all pickups and electronics to make it sound good.

I can't remember what it sounded like acoustically, but with new Barts and a preamp, it would sound a lot better. You have to like the look (dare I say, have a need for it) as well.

6. bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky's about $900...depending on where you get it...I found one on ebay that sold for $300...didn't get it though...

I love the look of the Phoenix...I think it looks absolutely AWESOME! so yeah...I'd have to drive about 2 hours too if I wanted to try to play
  7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    If you want that sort of hard rock look for around the same price, but wiith much higher quality (I think, anyway)....

Then +1 on Schecter. I'd suggest a C-5, or a Stiletto Custom 5.