1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traben ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I stumbled upon a used Traben Array 4 ($219-good deal?) at a local shop. I looked into them maybe 2 years ago buy ending up with something else. I see that some of the online music stores don't seem to stock their stuff anymore. Are they not producing basses like they did a few years ago or am I thinking too much?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Yes it's a good deal. Not a GREAT deal, but certainly a good one. My back up bass is an Array ltd 4. I like it very much. Sounds awesome and plays very well.

3. Check and see where it was made....if it is pre-vietnam stock buy it....

After production moved to Vietnam their quality got spotty....

I own two Array Obsessions and love them....

There is an official Traben club here.....look it up

HANSER music group owns Traben and it seems they are in transition some of the Traben models now are being made by B.C. Rich which is also owned by Hanser

4. Pretty sure it's made in Indonesia. Battery cover & electronics cover still had plastic on them. It's $219 or $229, can't remember but it comes with a free set-up & cleaning (usually $52) and I can do lay-away for 90 days...seriously thinking about it.

5. Do it!

6. It's actually made in Korea. I went back to the shop and played it through a similar amp to the one I'm using at home. I put it back on the shelf and plugged in a Squier Jazz...hate to say it, but I liked the Jazz tone better. I played a few riffs from Smashing Pumpkins and really liked the sound. Of course, D'Arcy of SP used Fender Jazz basses so maybe that had something to do with it, but I actually think I like that better....damn GAS!!!

7. Always thought those Bootsy basses were crazy looking..Traben definitely has some intresting designs to put it mildly...the flame bridge for example.

Side question: what strings come standard on the Squier Jazz (Affinity series)..just Fender rounds?

8. Only Bootsy can pull off the Space Bass. Just wouldn't look right with anyone else playing it. (Wait; I stand corrected. Anthony Wellington posted a very cool pic where Bootsy let him play one at his studio.) I'll correct my line. Most people wouldn't look right playing the Space Bass.

9. Regarding Smashing Pumpkins their bass tone is pure P on the records

10. I've always seen D'Arcy playing jazz basses live...just figured that's what was used in the recording as well.

11. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    TRaben's are solid mid-level instruments,but you never hear about them and most places don't carry them anymore. the best thing about traben is their insane high mass bridges. the flame bridge is anexample,but I played others where it was integrated into the PG,and I must say,having all that bridge does give a lot of sustain and tone.

12. My Traben. Used it for just over a year, just never got on with five strings.

2735590A-EC75-452F-8564-C6EED4FCA4A3-10142-000002BF5D2FBE32.

13. They definitely make nice stuff in my opinion and I do like the tribal bridge.

Sorry I'm changing subjects, but what is the difference between the regular Squier Jazz basses and the Affinity series, aside from the price point?

14. pickups and hardware mostly, the body might be thinner on the affinity as well (I know it is on some of the guitar models).

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    They were sold, according to posts here a while back. I don't know if they are in production, but I doubt it. The site is still up.

A couple of years back, there was a thread here asking the question, "Which brands will be gone in five year's time?," or something to that effect. Traben was the #1 choice, as I recall.

The Korean ones were of course just more Cor-Tek product.

They're the extreme answer to the question of "How much mass can you stand in your high-mass bridge?" :rollno: The intricate design does a remarkable job of trapping dust and crud of all kinds, as did the Michael Kelly guitars using this odd excessive bridge concept.

16. I own two of them one Korean the other is a mystery...

mybabiesinternet.

I love mine

the five string is my usual number one player