Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot AH200 Series 6 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnightmare, Nov 13, 2004.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    how do these heads sound? i found a guy selling one for like $275. i wanted to know if this is a good deal and if i should jump on it? ive heard trace elliot amps are great and sound good, but what about this model? i cant find any info. on the web. is it a tube or ss amp? well any info. would be much apperciated.

by the way does anyone know the specs on this amp?

2. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    This amp should be 200 watts into 8 ohms. Trace amps generally are conservative in their power rating, meaning that if you a/b this with many 400 watt rated heads, it will be as loud or louder.
    This is a solid state amp, but has a warm and round pre-amp that will deliver the goods and then some. Fat and crunchy!!!
    I have seen these recently for 300-500 dollars.Series 6 were the line from roughly late 80's-very early 90's. Solid components throughout.
    How do they sound? SOLID, fat, crispy highs - it's up to you, the potential is there in that EQ. Don't let the negative vibers spoil you about Trace, these amps beat many flavour-of-the-month amps that will cost you two grand!!!
    Good luck {buy it!!!]!!!

3. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    how much does it deliver into 4 ohms, if it does?

4. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
  5. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    It delivers 200W into 4 ohms, 150W into 8 ohms. It is a little bit noisier than the best of todays amps, but very loud indeed for a 200W head, and pretty compact too. I've had mine for about 15 years, it is still doing great.

6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    $275 seems like a pretty good price. I paid $250 for mine (used) years ago. I still regret selling that amp. I love the sound of the old SM and SMX amps. Now I have a V-Type head that I also love and an SWR 'Stella/Power 750 rack (that also has a V-Type rack pre in it), which is awesome, too...but that AH200 was light, small, relatively simple, and sounded fantastic. My SWR rack takes up 12 rack spaces and weighs about 90 lbs...it's worth the money and effort, but sometimes that little head would be nice to whip out...

I still love that Trace Elliot "Pre-Shape" button...

7. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Yep :)
    I stopped using the graphic EQ many years ago, but the Pre-shape is still cool. I don't know exactly what it does. It must be some EQ-ing, it kind of fattens the sound. I haven't reproduced it on graphic or parametric.

I have played EQ-less until I went fretless, then I got external parametrics. I don't want to play Pre-shape-less ;)

8. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Sorry to bring back this thread but i just picked one up for $50, I was told it has a circuit issue, but can be fixed. Also told it was hit rodded to 250w, not sure how that works, but im still excited

9. Circuit issue could mean anything. Best of luck, it's a little monster when running well.

Hotrodding isn't anything I've headed I heard of but might hopefully mean the power section was swapped wholesale for the 250w unit.

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Endorsing Artist: Tecamp Bass Players Gear, Bartolini Emerging Artist
    I have a TE GPSM7 300 I use as a practice and backup amp. I bought it used like 10 yrs ago and it's still going strong. I could be convinced of getting rid of it as I also have a SWR Workingman's 4004 I use with BBE Sonic maximizer. Who knows??

11. I had one of that era of Trace amps, and I loved it.
    had it for years and years, always sounded fantastic.
    sold it a few years back to young kid starting out trying to get his first 'real' bass amp.
    sold it to him with the original 410 cab for $400 USD.
    He was very happy.

12. LennyP

LennyP

Dec 25, 2008
    Ireland
    I have a Trace AH200 for sale in Ireland at the moment and can't get 100 euro for it. Go figure.