Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot amp recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jun 3, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm looking to get a new amp. I currently have a Trace GP7SM AH250...which I plan on keeping as a back-up. I've recently found the need for more power. One of the guitar players in my band got a new head (peavy 5150) which is insanely loud, and right next to me. The past couple shows we played I've found myself having a hard time cutting through. I still have some decent headroom with my current setup...but i don't want to push it too hard. I run 2 genz benz cabs- a 2x10, and a 15. Would better cabs or a different configuration help?

I'm sticking with Trace Elliot. I don't really want anything else. I'm not a lover of ampegs, GKs, SWRs, etc..If I could find one or had the $ I'd get a V8, but that's not an option for me right now. I'd like to be in the $500 price range. So Any recomendations on TE heads that will give me more overall power & volume??

I could pick up a GP12 SMX rackmount for pretty cheap $399 - asking price...how much louder would this be than my current head?

Also considering the V-Type 300H...any thoughts on this one?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

Assuming you're okay with used, how about a Trace Power amp/preamp combination? That's what i use (both are 80s-issue and sweet as hell) and it's painfully loud. In fact, it's overkill for most club gigs I've played, so I've been using a G-K 700RBII and saving the Trace rig (which is larger and heavier) for outdoor gigs.

Granted, it may take you a while to find the components, but if you dig Trace, it could be worth sniffing around for some good old stuff. I have snagged two Trace power amps online from musicgoround.com (Trace stuff seems to show up there pretty frequently) and I scored an old Trace MKV preamp off of ebay for $150.00.

3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I would love to pick up a TE power amp...but I don't see them that frequently. Could i run 2 4 ohm cabs w/ one of those??

i also know of a sweet deal on a bagend 2x10, but its 4ohms...which doesn't do me much good w/ my current head.

I'm leaning towards The gp12. It would only cost me around $200, cause i just bought a compressor (which I wont need w/ that head) from the same store which I could return toward the price. Plus I got a few odds n ends to trade.

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just found 2 others at a local store:

AH400 12band- $750

AH1200- $700

The AH400 is intriguing. Is that price a litle high? More than I want to spend...Would it be worth It if I could trade my current head towards it and get it down to say 450-500?

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    How about just picking up a power amp and using the out on your present Trace to drive it?

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats starting to look like a good option. I've never used this type of setup...what are good power amps that can be found used for fairly cheap, under $500? QSCs seem to be pretty popular. Will different brands of power amps alter my tone?

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Anyone?

I got the GP12 SMX on hold until tomorrow. I'm not sure if it'll be that big of a difference from my current head though.

8. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca

there is a v-type head on music go round for 399. might want to check that out

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    yeah, british has some NOS for sale...might be cool to add to the arsenal. I've never used one though...anyone know how they stack up to the 7 & 12band series amps?

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The V-type that British has is the solid state version. It has the tube pre but SS power of 280 watts rms. I have played one and they sound excellent but definately different from a SMX. It has more of a wooly tubish tone.

On Ebay right now there is a RAH600SMX for $599 and you might be able to get it for that.

Is that SMX a pre or powered head?

11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    shhh...I know...that thing looks sick. I got my eye on it. :ninja:

A little more than I wanna spend, but would definitely be more than enough power. :D

I think the SMX is a pre...I'll know for sure tomorrow.