Trace Elliot can not working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by George Simon, Jul 11, 2020.

1. George Simon

George Simon

Jul 11, 2020
    Hi guys,

I've just plugged my Trace Elliott ah300-12 to a Trace Elliott 1048H and the amp shows a signal but I've for nothing coming out the cab I've used a proper speaker lead but there is also xlr inputs which I haven't tried but I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it will be that before I go and buy one!

Thanks

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nope. Is this amp new to you? Should be using the 1/4" speaker outputs. Did you disengage the mute?

Riis

3. George Simon

George Simon

Jul 11, 2020
    Yes it is new to me. Yeah I've tried everything, could it be xlr to 1/4"?

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Did it ever work? IOW, did you trial before purchasing? I'm having a helluva time finding a manual or good pics...can you provide either? Conventional wisdom holds that the amp's 1/4" speaker output should be providing signal to the enclosure's 1/4" input. Are you able to trial either TE components with known good hardware, ie. other amps or cabs?

Riis

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

A simple way to test a speaker cabinet is with a 9V battery. plug a 1/4" cable into the cabinet and apply the 9V between tip and sleeve of the plug at the other end. You should hear a thunk from the cabinet. You can check for polarity this way too. With the battery positive touching the tip the cone should move out away from the magnet assembly.

HG1180 and packhowitzer like this.
  6. George Simon

George Simon

Jul 11, 2020
    Oh nice!! I have now found the issue with the amp but this is great for the future. Thanks!

mikewalker and BassmanPaul like this.
  7. George Simon

George Simon

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks for your help, I have found the issue now a component has come adrift from the outputs on the amp so it just needs a little soldering.
    Cheers!

Frunobulax likes this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Excellent! I like the simple cheap fixes.

Riis

HG1180 likes this.
  9. George Simon

George Simon

Jul 11, 2020
    Don't we all!!

10. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, but we wanna know the stupid thing actually works once addressed / re-soldered.

@BassmanPaul can fix anything with a 9v battery, zip ties, and plumbers' putty.

Riis

seang15, HG1180, 2tonic and 3 others like this.
  11. George Simon

George Simon

Jul 11, 2020
    Haha, I'll keep you posted don't worry!!

12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Welcome to TalkBass...don't forget to fill-out your profile and snag a subscription.

Riis

2tonic and SteveBassJr like this.
  13. George Simon

George Simon

Jul 11, 2020
    I will, thanks Riis, take care!

Zooberwerx likes this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Depending on how it's used, a lot of bass amps (especially those on top of cabinets) actually shake parts loose from the p.c. boards. Sometimes (you gotta make sure the part isn't creating a lot of heat before you do this) it's wise to glue down some of the heavier components.

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Erm - if a part needed gluing down the manufacturer would have done so.

seang15 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  16. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Shhhhhhhh......there's a rumour going around that sometimes duct tape is involved........like when the cameras are off.........nasty bit of business, that!

Keep it to yourself, just wanted you to know.:rolleyes:

BassmanPaul and Zooberwerx like this.
  17. @BassmanPaul sounds like a budget Macgyver!

2tonic, BassmanPaul and Zooberwerx like this.
  18. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I once bought a Trace rig from a pawn shop for $150 because they said it was broken. I bought it and when I got home disengaged the mute button. :)

19. George Simon

George Simon

Jul 11, 2020
    So I've soldered the connection back on, whilst doing so noticed both fuses by the amp have blown they are F5L250V I tried a couple of other 5amp fuses that I had kicking around and as soon as the amp was turned on they also blew, do I need the F5's or is there another that would be better?

Zooberwerx likes this.
  20. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No, you're past that point. Need to either return it or hand-off to a decent tech.

Riis

2tonic likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021