Trace Elliot GP11

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BadBass, Sep 21, 2006.

1. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Hey there,
    Recently got an old British Trace GP11 1x15 combo. Some of the markings on the head have worn off. I can tell sort of what all the controls do, but there are a couple of things im not too sure about. Can anyone tell me, or send me a manual of some sort? I have been on the British Audio Service site, but their manual is not the corect one for this particular amp. Also, can I buy a sticker or something to replace the markings on the head, or is it possible for it to be reconditioned and have the markings renewed?
    IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

2. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    I had even older version of this combo - without the effect loop and the 2 plugs next to it. Nice stuff. :)

3. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Cool, would you be able to tell me what the 3 silver switches do and the green 3 pin plug on on the left do?

4. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Mine had only one switch - the one near instrument input. It should be "pre-shape" switch. It changed the sound quite a lot. I really don't have clue, what are the 2 switch near the graphic EQ supossed to do, sorry. :(

5. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    As far as I remember, the green XLR to the left side is a low impedance input.

Now about those toggle switches. Common sense would dictate that the switch nearest the inputs would be a sensitivity (active/passive) switch, and the two to the right of the GEQ would be EQ in/out and the famous Trace PreShape.

The toggle next to the DI out should be a Pre/Post EQ switch... but that's just me doing some sensible guessing. Let's wait for the opinion of someone more well-versed in Trace Technology!

6. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    I think your right there! What is the Trace PreShape? Im not too knowledgable on Trace amps really...

7. It put a dip on the midrange and made it sound more plummy.

8. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Plummy... yeah... that works! :smug:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 'PreShape' circuit not only dips the mid freqs... but also boosts certain freqs in the highs and lows.

At least that seems to be what it does on my Trace pre.:bassist:

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Since you're in the UK, if anyone can help you, it's these guys: http://www.gmaudio.co.uk/ . Send them an email, also maybe they'll be able to help you about getting a new front panel, I know people have replaced them on more recent GP12 models but the GP11 is pretty old so spare parts might be in pretty short supply.

10. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Cheers! I will contact them. I know exactly what the switches do now so I may leave it for a while...im pretty skint at the moment...Overwaters are damn expensive...:eek:

Cheers:bassist:

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    You've got pretty good info in this thread, but I think it's just a little off.

That looks just like the lay out of my AH250 with GP11

Both the 1/4"and the 3 pin (XLR?) are high impedance inputs.

The switch next to the inputs is the pre shape (scoop) switch. Up position is flat.

Next to the graphic EQ on the top is "EQ in / out" (out is the up position)

on the bottom is noise reduction (out is the up position)

Next to the DI is the "pre EQ / post EQ" switch (pre EQ is up)

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't know if you'll be able to read this after re-sizing, but if so this might be worth 1000 words...

13. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Heh!

So much for "logical deduction"!

Hooray for British idiosyncracy!

:smug:

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021