Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot Identification?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Secthdaemon, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Can somebody give me info about that cab on the bottom? I just bought it for £15.
    Any information about it would be great :)

Yes I know, Laney R4 on top..I'm strapped for cash at the moment otherwise you wouldn't see such a monstrosity :oops:

[​IMG]

2. To my eye that looks like a mid-nineties (red stripe) 1518 which is a single 15". From the picture I can't read "Trace Elliot" on the speaker's dustcap. If it's not there the original driver has likely been replaced, perhaps with something else, or reconed.

3. Thanks a lot, I'll find out about the speaker..though it most probably has been replaced

4. I forgot to add the info on the "1518" model = 15", 1 speaker, 8ohms. It's that simple. Enjoy!

5. Bzzzzzt. Look more closely an you will see the ports. That red-stripe edition followed the Rolls Royce green.

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Off topic... but nice Spector btw! ;) :bassist:

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ditto.

Alex

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yup, looks like a 1518 to me too.

Cool.

What does the 1153 in my Trace Elliot cab mean then?

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    11", 5 speakers, 3 ohms! :ninja: :p :D

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    :eyebrow: :meh: :help: :D :confused:

...going to get that tape measure and abacus out when I get home...

11. True - there are only a few cabs that don't map out correctly but the 1153 is one of them. I'm sure you'll find a few others. My 1048H (H for horn) maps to that formula, as does my 1818.

Cheers!

12. Okay, for accuracy I pulled out my old Trace catalogs and here's the deal on the 1153 from the '92 catalog. It's 200wRMS, 8ohms small box 15". The smaller sized 480mm width cabinets (2102/2103H/1153) are the ones that don't follow the formula. The standard sized cabinets 610mm width(1048/1518/1818/1524) do. Go figure.

13. Meekster & alexclaber... following my own advice to look more closely I cranked the brightness. Sheesh. There isn't anything like that bin style in the TE catalogs here and I have some pretty old ones. What do you think? An older TE cabinet that someone painted a red stripe on, or a homemade deal with TE grille bolted on?

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Weird isn't it! Very convincing if it is a fake. Didn't the earlier TE stuff have a grey vinyl-like finish or was that in between older and newer periods?

Alex

P.S. Completely off-topic, but you have four Low-B2s do you not? Have you considered stacking them vertically to make a line-array for big gigs without PA support - I suspect this would sound incredible! Controlled 2-D dispersion right down to 100Hz (i.e. scary projection!)

15. Yep... it would be a lot of trouble to go to just to "fake" a TE cab. I am not sure what it is. Anyone?

Drifts O/T for a sec: As far as the B2s go, I usually play with one pair stacked upright as you do. Killer! Using two pairs however... I have tried that setup for outdoor gigs and it is purely AWESOME.

16. Great thread. Interesting that they went back to a red stripe on the cabs in the mid-'90s, at least for a while. Yep, Fane makes sense for that period, and they sound very different from Celestion. Nice! That series would sound great with a TwinValve.