1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot Identification?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Secthdaemon, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Can somebody give me info about that cab on the bottom? I just bought it for £15.
    Any information about it would be great :)

Yes I know, Laney R4 on top..I'm strapped for cash at the moment otherwise you wouldn't see such a monstrosity :oops:

[​IMG]

2. To my eye that looks like a mid-nineties (red stripe) 1518 which is a single 15". From the picture I can't read "Trace Elliot" on the speaker's dustcap. If it's not there the original driver has likely been replaced, perhaps with something else, or reconed.

3. Thanks a lot, I'll find out about the speaker..though it most probably has been replaced

4. I forgot to add the info on the "1518" model = 15", 1 speaker, 8ohms. It's that simple. Enjoy!

5. Bzzzzzt. Look more closely an you will see the ports. That red-stripe edition followed the Rolls Royce green.

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Off topic... but nice Spector btw! ;) :bassist:

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ditto.

Alex

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yup, looks like a 1518 to me too.

Cool.

What does the 1153 in my Trace Elliot cab mean then?

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    11", 5 speakers, 3 ohms! :ninja: :p :D

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    :eyebrow: :meh: :help: :D :confused:

...going to get that tape measure and abacus out when I get home...

11. True - there are only a few cabs that don't map out correctly but the 1153 is one of them. I'm sure you'll find a few others. My 1048H (H for horn) maps to that formula, as does my 1818.

Cheers!

12. Okay, for accuracy I pulled out my old Trace catalogs and here's the deal on the 1153 from the '92 catalog. It's 200wRMS, 8ohms small box 15". The smaller sized 480mm width cabinets (2102/2103H/1153) are the ones that don't follow the formula. The standard sized cabinets 610mm width(1048/1518/1818/1524) do. Go figure.

13. Meekster & alexclaber... following my own advice to look more closely I cranked the brightness. Sheesh. There isn't anything like that bin style in the TE catalogs here and I have some pretty old ones. What do you think? An older TE cabinet that someone painted a red stripe on, or a homemade deal with TE grille bolted on?

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Weird isn't it! Very convincing if it is a fake. Didn't the earlier TE stuff have a grey vinyl-like finish or was that in between older and newer periods?

Alex

P.S. Completely off-topic, but you have four Low-B2s do you not? Have you considered stacking them vertically to make a line-array for big gigs without PA support - I suspect this would sound incredible! Controlled 2-D dispersion right down to 100Hz (i.e. scary projection!)

15. Yep... it would be a lot of trouble to go to just to "fake" a TE cab. I am not sure what it is. Anyone?

Drifts O/T for a sec: As far as the B2s go, I usually play with one pair stacked upright as you do. Killer! Using two pairs however... I have tried that setup for outdoor gigs and it is purely AWESOME.

16. Great thread. Interesting that they went back to a red stripe on the cabs in the mid-'90s, at least for a while. Yep, Fane makes sense for that period, and they sound very different from Celestion. Nice! That series would sound great with a TwinValve.