1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot RAH600SMX input level query.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fendermonkey, Jan 26, 2012.

1. fendermonkey

fendermonkey

Jan 26, 2012
    Hi all!

I have been using talk bass to help me with my questions for a while as there is so much good info on here!

I've finally had to sign up as I can't find the solution to my problem anywhere.

I recently bought a Trace RAH600SMX and I love it! Lovely rich tones and very versatile which is great. The problem is I'm having to boost the input signal up to 10 (which is full blast!) just to even get it into the orange light of trace's traffic light system.

I use an active fender jaguar and with the active pad on it gets just about sits in the orange but only when boosted at full blast. When I switch to passive and disengage the active pad its the same story. Full boost and just about sitting in the orange.

I'm sure its not the bass as it's the same story when I plug in my P bass.

I'm going to replace the pre amp valve soon but the problem is the same whether i blend the valve in or just use the solid state circuitry.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would be very very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

2. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I have no idea where the input values are set, but in my experience with TE amps and my basses have always been to run the input level at what seems high (like 8.5 out of 10), but I've never had to turn it all the way up.

3. fendermonkey

fendermonkey

Jan 26, 2012
    I think the valve is set parallel to the solid state circuitry at the start of the input gain section as you have the option to blend the signals coming out.

I was thinking of maybe sending it off to be tested. Perhaps there is a dry or lose joint in the circuitry?

Just seems a bit weird.

4. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    So don't use the pad and play your bass in active mode. Problem solved.

That will be $60. I'll send you a bill.

For the record, I have a 1210 and an active Carvin. With the pad on, I have to crank the input gain quite a bit, but ONLY to get the amount of gain I want from the tube overdrive.

5. fendermonkey

fendermonkey

Jan 26, 2012
    Haha. Cheers. I've tried that too but again I'm still having to crank the gain to about 8.5/9 to get it to sit in the orange. Going in on the passive switch with an active bass and having to boost that much just doesn't seem right.

I could do without the signal being boosted as my jag sounds awesome anyway its just I figured to get the best out of the amp I would ideally like the level going in to be spot on.

I'm happy to go in the passive switch and crank the gain up a bit as the signal sits nicely there it just doesn't seem right and I'd rather get a problem fixed before I take it on the road if you know what I mean?

Thanks for the tips though! I was just hoping that there was some kind of common fault that someone could point out to me.

6. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    This was my experience with my TE rig so I would consider it normal.. Especially with the low output level of my Bart system. I have the pre boosted all the way in my current bass w/Bart pups & ntmb pre.

7. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think that's probably just how they are. It kind of idiot proofs the amp a bit.

8. I have a similar experience with my old GP7SM combo. I run it at around 8 and it still never clips with an active bass with quite hot pickups. It just seems to be the way TE amps are set up.

9. banebass

banebass

Jun 4, 2009
    Zemun,Serbia,Europe
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I've had AH400SMX GP12 for years, and with my active Spector NS5XL (18V, hot output bass) gain was about 8 and still just getting occasional yellow (or orange!!!) light, never red, clip. At first I thought I had problem with electronics in my bass, but after checking it (it works completely normal) I just got over it! Good sound, no clip, plenty of volume ...
    I think it's just how Trace is designed.

10. Ditto. Passive basses 10, active 7 or 8, no use for the active pad.

11. fendermonkey

fendermonkey

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice guys it's been a real help. Like you've all said, its probably just the way they're set up. I've just never owned a trace before so I was unsure.

Such lovely rich tones!

Thanks again for all the advice. This really is an awesome forum.

12. Mario Pettinao

Mario Pettinao

Sep 16, 2017
    Italy
    I was looking for the same problem with my TE Ah400 SMX I was not sure .. with my active basses gain is always set about 8 or 9 (no use for the active pad) to have the right input signal,the only one able to drive hard the gain is my passive yamaha BB414 gain 6/7 ..anyway I would recommend checking the pickups heights ,the output signal depends on them in most cases they are always set badly low compared to the standard so the proplem could be partly solved!

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    @fendermonkey has not logged in since July 30 2012. He/she will never read your post!

14. Mario Pettinao

Mario Pettinao

Sep 16, 2017
    Italy
    It will be read by someone else!

jmattis likes this.