Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot VA400 Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AnTz0r, Jan 28, 2004.

1. I can buy this stack:

It has the 4x10 TE 1048H cab, and a 400W All-valve poweramp.

It has a tube-preamp, but you can also switch to the GP12 transistor pre-amp.

It will cost me €600 ($650?).

It is 15 years old. Gigged regularly, still in good shape. The gain knob needs some contact spray. Some wear on the finish, otherwise good shape. The backlight is broken.

I will play it in a metal band.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Great amp and cab for a great price: get them. The VA400 is pretty easy to work on. I have a VR400 (power amp only version) and a VA350 (same amp, different output configuration). It'll do metal tone in heatbeat.

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Excuse me if I am mistaken, but I don't think that amp is "all-valve." I think it's solid state. There might be a tube or two in the preamp, but it's not the V-Type all-tube preamp.

The cab is fairly rich sounding IMO. It can get bright, but I don't know if it can be "rip-your-ears-out" bright.

4. It's easy to understand why you might think that... the head in the photograph does look similar, if not identical, to an AH series like my own AH600-SMX. However the VA400 being discussed does have an all-tube power section. I might be wrong, but I believe this was the forerunner to the beloved V-Type all tube heads.

It's a great sounding rig and seems to be in excellent condition!

5. It's an all tube design (aside from the SMX preamp) with six KT88's and three 12AX7's. They're very, very rare.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Go for it! That seems to be a great amp at a great price.

7. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    those are great amps, and the cab ain't no slouch either.
    I say go for it !

8. Can you give me some more tips to use it?
    And what does heatbeat mean?

It's output is 4 ohms according to the seller, the cab is 8 ohms. what will happen when i only use this cab?

I dont know what is broken about the light, when i know i will tell, iwant to fix it :)

9. Yes. The amp is ultralinear, which means it runs its tubes at VERY high voltages in a different way than most amps. You want to give it a 4 or 2 ohm load (there's switch on the back to select between them). At 8 ohms, you risk shorting your output tubes doe to inductive voltage spikes from the output transformer.

Also, if you have time and know a good tech replace the grid resitors with higher wattage ones. The stock resistors are 1/2 watt and scorch pretty easily. I put two watters in and was done with it. They're all on the same board in the same place, so replacement is easy for anyone who knows what they're doing. If one should burn out, you'd lose the tube it feeds and possibly do some other damage, too.

...that I can't type "heartbeat" properly.

If you play it a lot you'll probably cause extensive damage to the amp..

The "backlight" is actually in front and it's nothing but a short (18") black-light bulb. It's easy to change.

10. the guy i am going to buy it from has been using this amp with the 1048H for the last 15 years. extensive damage to the amp? i dont hope so!

could you tell me more about this?
    i said i would buy it tomorrow, unless it was broken.

is there any way to determine if damage has been caused to the amp? he has been playing it for 15 years with the 1048 only! i dont want to buy a broken amp :(

11. If he didn't play very loud, there's strong chance that it's ok. If it were damaged from inductive flyback, you'll be able to tell easily. The amp shouldn't work. There is also the possibility that those are some VERY tough output tubes and have been biased VERY cold. That would also help to save the amp. When you play it, take note of ANY funny noises, smells, hums, or buzzes.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    WHOA WHOA WHOA!

I just want to make sure its known that the only way that running a 4 ohm head into an 8 ohm cab would cause any damage is if its a *tube* power section in the head. It sounds like thats what we have on our hands, but I just think its good to make sure people understand that.

Peace
    Nick

13. One might get that impression due to the fact that last several posts about this amp concern tubes... :D

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah. I guess its just because I had too many customers walk into GC when I worked there saying that their guitarist told them not to run their amp with a bigger load than what was on it or they'd bust it even though they were running solid state amps.

Peace
    Nick

15. well, he wasnt the first owner.

i bought it for 650 euros.

i noticed the tweeter level regulator of the cab was broken too.

anyway, it seems to run fine. maybe someone altered the impedance of the cab?

16. Are you sure it's an 8 ohm cab? Trace 4x10's came in 4 ohms, too.

17. it says 8 ohm at the back

18. Weird. At any rate, if you plan on keeping the amp healthy either use a 4 ohm cab or add another 8 ohm cab to the one you have.

19. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Or you could rewire it to 2 ohms, and be safe.

20. how can i measure up current impedance?