Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

~*~TRADEGY~*~

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pmutch, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    Today I finally lost the passion for playing bass. It all started with skipping a day of practice, then 2 days, then a week, and so on.... Well now I have now passion to play no more. But I love music so much so I think I'm going to get into keyboards and samplers, etc. I'm posting this becuz I don't want any of you to lose the passion. Remember, it starts with skipping ONE DAY!!!!! thank you all

2. ...ok. Are you going to give away your bass then? I may know of a good home for free basses :D

3. I don't know of any good homes for basses, but I know of a good home for wayward girls... :cool:

Hang on to the bass, boss. It's a vixen. She'll keep calling until you realize what you've given up. Then you'll come running back to her.

Bob

mental note to self: Self, you have GOT to stop reading those romance novels in your wife's bathroom. Seriously.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Maybe bass just isn't the instrument for you. Nothing at all wrong with that. :cool:

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    That happened to me in 1982. I just got disgusted with the band I was in and the music scene in general. I was working alot, and got a new apartment and girlfriend. Playing bass just did not fit in my life. I sold all my gear including a beautiful 1972 Rick and stopped for almost 15 years :confused: Big mistake.

Just take a break. The desire will come back.

6. Keyboards are people too. :cool: :)

You wouldn't be the only keyboard player on this forum ;) .

7. When I first started playing guitar, it was frustrating, and I took about 4 weeks off, didn't even touch it. I came back to it, and I felt new life with it. It happens sometimes.

8. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I hope the passion comes back

9. Ummm...
    What's a "tradegy"?

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I lost my passion once.

Then I found it under my bed.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Happened to me twice, both within a few months of starting. Almost happened again a few weeks ago (It's been two years since I started playing regularly) but now the passion is stronger than ever.

12. basspat

basspat

Mar 13, 2004
    Coronado
    I would reccomend buying the $40 Jaco instructional video and watching it a few times. Jaco talks a lot about practicing. If this does not inspire you than you shouldn't keep playing bass.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Isn't that the one where he's near the end of his life, and he's all...messed up? I dunno, I might find seeing him in that state more depressing than anything.

14. so then he wouoldn't be the only loser around then, eh...? ;) :ninja:

Keep your bass gear man, unless you really need the money!
    Check behind the couch, and if still ntohing, take a break! :)

15. Shame

16. When your zipper's stuck and you wanna...

17. It sounds to me as though you're relieved that you don't have to practice anymore. I think we all go through phases, but if you lost this passion so easily...

Don't force anything. Take a break if you need to.

Sometimes I don't play for almost a week. It's still there.

One day at a time. ;)

Mike

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Just a note for all the young or new bass players. The following quote is not true

That's B.S. - I think it's more than safe to say that most bass players, and really all musicians, can and do regularly miss a day of practice and not completely quit their instrument. That statement is just ludicrous. I suspect that the poster was done about the time he hit the "gotta force myself to do this everyday" stage - recipe for burnout. :meh:

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There's practicing and there's "taking a break from it all". I do this occasionally. When I can't actually pick up an instrument, I am still listening to songs and music. Sometimes, you just have to put the instrument down and listen for a while.

I may tire of the current routine, but I still love music.

For a new routine, start playing different things. Don't torture yourself by trying to play hard things that don't come together quickly. Just find different music, build on it and see where that takes you.

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Well, maybe just being only a bass only player wasn't enough. Get into keys, guitars, drums whatever, avoid electronic music it will suck out your musical soal(JK).... seriously your branching out that's all, keep you bass for recording purposes ;)