1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

trading Ashdown evo for Mark bass TTE 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tishtash, Mar 6, 2013.

1. tishtash

tishtash

Mar 3, 2013
    I've been in a realationship with my Ashdown evo ii 350 for a few years but recently flirted with a Mark Bass TTE 500 which is at a great price (used 450)

I think I want more headroom, but is a jump from 350 to 500w really going to help? I want to be prepared for growth in my rig. I currently use an eden 2x10 and a mesa 1x15.

Also, what are people's thoughts in general in regards to Ashdown evo vs Mark Bass TTE.

Thanks a bunch.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's just a matter of personal preference. But no, 350 to 500 watts is not at all that big a step up. It will give you a different sounding amp though.

3. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Do you like the Ashdown?

The Markbass is a totally different sound. If you're happy with the Ashdown, I reccomend you upgrade to the Evo 500. They pop up used all over for around $500.

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    more than +1

You will get a huge amount of personal opinion that you will need to weigh against a) its from the internet, and b) they are not you.

So if you like the tone you are getting, but want more volume, mebbe look at the cabs? or look at a bigger ashdown.. the ABM500 is 575W and they do go up to 900W :)

5. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Endorsing Artist: Luna Guitars, Ashdown Engineering, Cactus Picks
    Getting an Ashdown with some more headroom might do you good if you like the head. Their stuff only sounds better as you move up the line, I'd suggest saving up for an ABM 500.
    If you really like the weight and clarity of the lows in the markbass the ABM head can do that since it has much more head room than your current head. (not saying it's going to sound exactly like the markbass head though obviously!)

Also you said you were looking to prepare for growth in your rig? An ABM 500 can take anything from your current set up to an 810 and make it blast while sounding great.

I went through the same dilemma when I was upgrading from the Mag 300 to the ABM 500. Just my two cents!

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

The Ashdown ABM 900 is not a 900 watt amp but a two sided unbridgeable head.

So technically the ABM 900 has 475 watts on the left and 475 watts on the right.

Ashdown endorser.

7. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Endorsing Artist: Luna Guitars, Ashdown Engineering, Cactus Picks
    He might have been trying to say that ABM 500 can go up to 900 watts peak, not RMS.

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    The TTE 500 is a loud 500 watts with bags of headroom. I've gigged an ABM 500 and much prefer the "all tubey" tone of the TTE.

9. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    indeed i was incorrect, the ABM line goes to 1000W, but yes the ABM900 is 575W+575W

ABM1000 @ http://ashdownmusic.com/product_detail.php?id=21

10. rskxqjjw

rskxqjjw

Mar 10, 2013
    The Markbass is a totally different sound.[​IMG]

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  12. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    True. Just pick which you like better. But if you are not having problems with tone or being heard, I wouldn't bother. Personally, I love Ashdown. But its all a matter of preference.