1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transcribing Changes

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Clay_Bass, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Does anyone here use any techniques other than learn the root movement and then try to play different chord types over that? I've pretty much been using that method and was just wondering if there were some other options people are into?

2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Are you transcribing "standards"? If so, there are some very common harmonic properties associated with those kind of tunes, ie: ii-V-I progressions. You can also take in the big picture. Figure out the first chord of the piece, listen for the dominant chord and notate that and then work backward from the dominant chord to the first chord. These are just a few ideas. I'm sure some others will have additional help for you.

3. the aebersold recordings plus some software to slow them down is a great way to start learning to hear progressions. you can even isolate the chords and make yourself a chord cd with transcribe!.
    chris

4. +1 on this!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021