Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transducer Placement

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lonote, Mar 18, 2005.

1. First, let me say that I know I am going to need a different pickup and I know it'll be sooner than later. I am trying to amplify my 1/4 size Kay with a K & K stick-on transducer and I am having limited success. I realize that this set-up isn't going to win any "best sound" contests but, for now, it's what I have to work with. I have tried putting the transducer under a bridge foot and flat mounting it on the bridge and the best I can get is something that sounds uncomfortably like Duane Eddy's 1950's "twangy" guitar tone...thin and gutless. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can fatten the sound a bit just with different transducer placement? Thanks.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Maybe your problem is impedance mismatch at the amp.
    Do you use a preamp to buffer the impedance for the pickup or do you plus directly into the amp?
    Pickup loading gives a very thin, brittle sound, which may be your problem.
    As a general rule, a 1 Megohm or higher input impedance is recommended for proper piezo pickup buffering.

3. I mounted the transducer in the bass side wing slot and my guitar player made me a connector with the phase reversed (as JonB suggested in another thread). The difference was beyond belief! It now sounds fat and rich; I would never have believed it if I hadn't heard it myself. I got sufficient volume with a Fender Bassman 50/1 X 15" JBL rig with the volume knob on "5" in a small 100 person club with no feedback problems. Thanks to all of you for your help with my newbie questions. So far, my "great double bass experiment" has been a lot of fun and a real learning experience. I may have pushed the envelope a bit by bringing it to a gig and playing it for a whole set after only a month's experience on the instrument, but "total immersion education" has worked for me before! Again, thanks for all your help.