1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transformation Complete!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by alexei, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Ok guys, there was about time I put my hands into the wooood.

Succesfully converted my cheap 4 string ABG to...

a cheap 8 string ABG!

here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And made a few test recordings and uploaded here.

So, that's it, lemme know your thoughs, nice or mean, good or evil, no mercy.

:bassist::D

2. The Insane

The Insane

Jul 12, 2007
    Germany
    Wow! This sounds really cool, the sound is great! And looks very nice, definately :)
    I hope you don't have problems with the octave strings running in this angle over the bridge?

3. not bad

4. so far is working too good. Anyway, I still need to lower the the strings a little by carving the slots in the bridge a bit more. The action is still quite high even for an ABG.
    I didn't want to carve too much in there until i have the whole thing calibrated and working for a day or two.
    Thx for replying :p

5. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    How is the neck holding up to the additional tension?

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    And... consider that the lower the action, the less bending moment will be on the neck.

Cool idea, I don't think I've ever seen an octaved ABG before.

7. I confess that, since I had this idea from like 2 or three months now, last week I saw THIS thread where harvey milk encoraged me to do it finally.

I think the lower action & flattened truss-rod curvature will be easier on the neck tension-wise. Anywya, since day 1, the curvature after tunning all the 8 strings, wasn't too much. I just had to turn like 1 or 2 quarter-turns with the allen "L" tool (I don't know the english name for the tool).

I just hope that with time, the front panel ("under the bridge" :D) doesn't curve due to the 53% additional tension. I really doubt that, but I'm not sure.

Thanks a lot for your input guys!

8. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    So, can that baby cut through when playing with acoustic guitars? :)

9. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    How much did the mod cost?

10. still need to check this with some gui****s... where are they when you need'em!!

let's see... I just had to buy the 4 guitar strings that I payed U$S 1 each, cause I already had the tuners from an old ac. guitar I dont play anymore. But we should include the tuners that cost like U$S 14. I had ones like this, that I've cutted in parts and drilled the holes.

The nut I made form one piece I've found in the "garage", so the total cost is U$S 18.

I've payed only U$S 4 for the strings, so it was pretty cheap.

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Man I love this! I've been thinking of an eight string acoustic with a few months, ever since I got my eight electric actually!

Though I was thinkin of asking a luthier next year, mabye I should try something similar.

12. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Oh man it sounds sweet ;D

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hows the spacing, by the way?

14. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Damn! No Optimus Prime or Megatron content. Sulk.

15. I gave 3 mm of spacing between same note strings. That's like 11,8% of an inch or almost 2/16 (precisely 1,89/16). I'm not sure wich measure unit is the most used in the US. In southamerica we use milimeters, centimeters... it makes it a bit easier.

Actually, this is a pretty cheap and simple job to do, you just need to make sure your tuners will fit into the headstock and plan it all ahead before taking the drill machine or any chainsaw.