Travis Bean Basses, who owns one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well every once in a while we get a customer in the Knooren workshop with something rare for us to fix up and last week we once again had one such occurence.

There was this man coming in with a Travis Bean bass for an electronics clean up. And boy what a beautiful looking and highly unusual bass that was. It looked similar to the one pictured.

The body was made of this STUNNING piece of Koa wood and has a bolt on solid ALUMINIUM neck, it feels kinda odd at first but the slim profile and wide string spacing made for an eccelent playability.

This thing has a monstrous SUSTAIN, it sounds like a bell. (Make that the Tsar Colocol, the biggest bell ever made)

So who of you has a Travis Bean and likes to share their experiences about them?
  2. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area

Picked it up on ebay for not too much... turned out to have cracks in the body at the neck joint, as well as a hole in the neck stripped. All repairable I suppose, but I haven't gotten around to it. The bit I played it before taking it apart, sounded amazing. I can't wait to fix it and gig with it. But I bet my back can. It weighs a ton. More than my maple cirrus 5 by a considerable amount.

Someone buy my for sale stuff so I can afford to fix it! :D

3. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I got a similar Kramer to yours, here's my XL24:
    I bought this new in 1980(?), my first real bass. Had the kahler installed mid 80s, and I finally found a schaller tuning key for the broken one in the pic.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I tried an original Bean once, aren't they neck-thru aluminum? I loved the clear tone and sustain and it motivated me to buy a Vaccaro which was the new generation of Kramers. My singer knocked it over and snapped off the headstock :bawl: I've heard that a weak headstock/neck joint is a flaw on the Vaccaro/Hartke aluminum necks, and I guess it's true. I will get an old Kramer someday, and maybe a Bean when I am rich.
  5. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Thats awesome with the trem. That bass always screamed for one. Now I REALLY want to get it fixed.

I can't believe how heavy that body is. Solid maple I think? With mahagony stripes.

Mines not in the best of conditions. The clear is peeling in a few spots on the neck. Some divots, and well, the body cracking. But once it's fixed, I think it will still be worth the cash I'll have into it.

6. Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    I bought a travis bean which is solid koa a long time ago. I had to sell my Fender mustang at the time to help pay for it. The bass never goes out of tune. Sounds good and has a clear, deep tone. It has 2 volume and two tone controls. I used a few different basses when I played with this one band. The guitarist always said "I like that bass since it is the only one that I can feel with my feet".

The only thing which is a drawback is it is very heavy, makes for a sore shoulder at the end of 4 sets. The serial number is 566. I wonder how many were made?
  7. hlava

Jan 22, 2010

you can check here:

yours is not listed.
  8. straightedge79

Jun 25, 2006
    1033 were made, i got #515 and it´s awesome! (and a bit heavy...)
  9. Quimbymeat

Jul 23, 2010
    Two basses
    891 and 994