1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor 300T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blizzard_rw, Mar 20, 2009.

1. blizzard_rw

blizzard_rw

Oct 25, 2007
    Just wondering if anyone has any feed back on the Traynor 300T Combo Amp. It is the 350w 2x8 combo. I have been shopping for a reasonably priced combo amp to use with both an upright and electric. It would primarily be used as a personal monitor, but would need to be able to keep up with a full band W/ no PA suport (bar setting). Thought the 300T looked interesting with the option of the 112 exstesion cab. Been loking for reviews, but have not found any on line.

2. Well, they're neo-equipped, so they're pretty light. Have you looked at *this* yet?

3. G2K

G2K Guest

Jul 21, 2008
    Simcoe County, ON. CA.
    Reading the specs I think you need the ext. cab to get full power (at 4 ohms) Looks good never-the-less

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's a thread from a few weeks ago where this amp was discussed here. I gave my impressions of the 300 1x12 combo and the 1x12 extension cabinet. I didn't try the 2x8" combo while in the L&M store as I ran out of time. The 1x12 is very loud for its size and power and even louder with the extension cabinet. Pretty nice amp all around. Not a lot of deep lows though. Some guys will love it, others won't like it. The 1x12 extension cabinet is light as a feather. 25 lbs. I think. Very easy to carry.

They're very well built and look great. The 2x8 combo tilts back.

I imagine it would be a great little combo for small rooms. Excellent eq potential on them.

5. blizzard_rw

blizzard_rw

Oct 25, 2007
    Thanks Sean S. I have been to their website, but was looking for some actual reviews or thoughts from people who have seen them.

6. blizzard_rw

blizzard_rw

Oct 25, 2007
    The tilt back option was something I was interested in. I play quite a few small shows were I would love to have a small combo to use as a monitor

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'll try the 2x8" combo next time I get to the store. I expect it will sound a bit different than the 1x12" and possibly put out a little less volume. Probably a little smoother in the high mids. Of course, that's only conjecture right now. Is there anyplace near you to try one?

8. blizzard_rw

blizzard_rw

Oct 25, 2007
    I'v been trying to find somewhere. I live in Colorado, outside denver. Not to many dealers in the area that cary much stock.

9. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    The tilt back with the 1x12 cab would fill the space with lots of sound.

If I were looking into a rig it'd be a significant contender. Wish it were the hybrid 400, but what does it really matter...

So very close to being exactly what I want. Maybe when it's time they'll have updated the design.

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The 1x12" extension does add a lot of volume but unfortunately not in the below 80 Hz area where I would like to have it. But if you want to "cut through the mix" it'll do that for sure.

The preamp section is a bit different from the other Traynor or Yorkville amps in that when you set the controls it's actually flat-no built in sound. Cranking the scoop control adds a bit of top and attempts to increase the bass, but the speaker will only put out so much of that although it didn't bottom out when I cranked it and boosted the volume as much as I dared in the store. The rest of the eq acts pretty well the way you'd expect. When I shut off the tweeter in the cabinet there was still lots of treble. It's a very clean sound. If you want an overdriven sound you might want to use some sort of effects pedal.

This amp would appeal to the fretless guys who want that snarling electric trombone sound too and for the Jaco clones. With a Stingray played with a pick you could probably decapitate someone up close. The head is removable and probably around 16 lbs.

I'd like to try using the 1x12" extension cabinet along with my little GK MB 150S but they didn't have the GK in the store when I was there last so I may have to bring my own.

I love the amp and cabinet for the price. I only wish it had some fatter bottom end available.

Reverend Groove from the Burlington L&M store should chime in here. He's used this amp more than I have and taken it on gigs.

11. Sorry to bump/ressurect the thread, but I figured it would be preferred over starting a new one.

Anyway, I'm also thinking about the Dynabass 300t, alone for use at home and in jams, DI'd for small gigs, or with an extension cab and miked/DI'd for larger gigs. It's got its own DI output, which would decrease my load and my setup/teardown even further.

Has anybody had further experiences with this amp they'd like to share? While I do love a big bottom end, I also don't drive - having to schlepp everything to and from on foot makes small and light a priority.

Thanks!

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You're in Toronto. Grab your bass, jump on the subway and go to the Bloor St. L&M store. Try one out. That's the only way you'll get any idea if it's an amp for you.

It might me a bit early yet, but try the rental department and see if they have one for rental. If so, rent one for a weekend and put it through its paces. L&M rental rates are reasonable.

13. Ressurecting this thread once again, just in case anybody is still interested:

I spent a few hours with the 300T and the TC112 this weekend, and my opinion is as follows:
    - Louder than the unit has any right to be, as per size
    - Compact and lightweight
    - Bassy enough to get a reasonable P-bass thump, but not quite enough to make pants flap
    - Snarly enough to be useful

And the downsides:
    - More expensive than I would appreciate (300T circa $1025, TC112 circa $450)
    - Sounds like a box. This can be minimized with EQ, but you can't really get away from the unit sounding like, well, a box. It's not too bad - definitely usable live, but I'd be hesitant to mike the unit in the studio.

Just figured I'd throw my findings out there in case anybody is looking at the unit.

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I think that's a pretty apt description and concurs with what I felt about it.

To me, buying one would hinge on what else is available at that price. The Traynor is a bit expensive but I don't know how it will compare in price to the new lightweight GK combos, if the GKs ever make it into Canada. Based on prior experience and GK's sound, I would probably go for GK if the price was close. Then there's the Ibanez Prometheon, if that one ever gets to Canada. That amp might be the one to beat.

No doubt though that Traynor is dragging itself into the 21st century.