TRAYNOR SB500H - Secret Tone Box!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Salome30Hz, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Salome30Hz

Salome30Hz Guest

Dec 7, 2018
    I bought my Traynor SB500H (& SB200H) in New York. It replaced a Little Mark head. If you haven't heard this little Traynor head (or the smaller SB200H) try to get to audition one. (If, like me, you're in the UK, you'll have to skip auditioning and take my word for it! It's virtually impossible to buy Traynor amps in the UK) This is a little box of amazingly warm, clear, rich tone. I've had both my Traynor heads for 18+ months and I am never, ever disappointed. They're simple, functional, no gimmicks or frills, and they've got a monstrously lovely sound. I sold my Ashdown & Markbass heads, they were just surplus to requirements. I still use my EBS preamp for recording, but also my Traynors too. I've become such a fan-girl but virtually no one in the UK has even heard of Traynor Amps, yet they've been around since 1963. I could rave-on about these little lightweight heads but they do have to be heard to be believed! I poopie you not! A total WINNER by Traynor. Such a shame they have no distribution in the UK - British bassists are losing out.

Attached Files:

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    A local (central Illinois, U.S.A.) sound company near me uses Traynor for their furnished backline jobs.

Sometimes they keep new Traynor equipment (usually tube guitar amps) on their showroom floor.

I'll put the idea in their head about maybe stocking a SB500H head, that way I'll get to audition it!

Salome30Hz likes this.
  3. Arson-o

Arson-o

Jan 13, 2006
    QUEBEC, CANADA
    Never disappoints with Yorkville Or Traynor gear's.....

Salome30Hz and 4-fingers like this.
  4. I feel bad for any country that can't get Traynor or more specifically Yorkville equipment, mostly for their gig ready P.A. gear. It's really high quality well designed and constructed mixers, amps, speakers. ect. I can't imagine gigging without it.

5. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic Designer: Yorkville Sound
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I have an SB200 head. It does all I ever have asked of it including filling in as a keyboard amp when when a backline didn't have the keyboard amp they promised.

avi and Salome30Hz like this.
  7. ... I wonder how much the BB115 weighs?

• YBA100: Tubes: 3x12AX7, 4x6L6
    • Tuner output 1/4inch
    • Dimensions (DWH, inches) YBA100: 8.5×8.5×8 ????????
    • Dimensions (DWH, cm) YBA100: 21.5x47x20
    • Weight (lbs / kg) YBA100: 22 / 10

Salome30Hz likes this.
  8. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    I love my Small Block 500 as well. I'm really glad with the fact that the store I work at sells their gear so I get employee discount lol.

avi, Salome30Hz and Arson-o like this.
  9. bassplace

bassplace

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    The dimensions in inches are wrong. Convert cm to inches and it's more like 18.5" wide. Still awesome and I want one.

Salome30Hz likes this.
  10. bassplace

bassplace

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    +1 on the SB200

Salome30Hz likes this.
  11. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I want to believe...
    Can you compare it to an amp I might know?

avi likes this.
  12. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Revised/corrected Owner's Manual (specs)

Attached Files:

13. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    If you like the SB200H & SB500H, you're gonna LOVE/want the SB800H. Same tone stack + a new class-D amp with 800W info 4-ohms (1200 peak)! That means HEADROOM!

14. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know this isn’t the same amp but one of our Austin venues has this Traynor for the backline. I’ve used it a couple of times now and it has always sounded really nice. My band I used to travel with in the mid to late 90’s had a full on Yorkville PA. It got the job done too. No complaints from me.

bfsSBdA.jpg

Rich67, BasturdBlaster and GrapeBass like this.
  15. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Lovely amps indeed.

Salome30Hz likes this.
  16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Built a couple of miles down Kingston Road from where I live. :)

17. Salome30Hz

Salome30Hz Guest

Dec 7, 2018
    Well, that's Just the thing. It's your bass you will hear. With pristine clarity. Just your bass. No
    artefacts or coloration, or amp "character"... I don't want to hear Ampeg tone, Marbass tone, Mesa tone, Trace Elliot (God forbid!) tone, Eden tone, EBS tone etc. Most amplifier manufacturers make a USP of their signature "tone"...They sell units on the strength of that "tone"... This is why I love my Traynor heads, I hear only my jazz bass, just the bass. I do use an EBS preamp for sessions. It's as close as I've heard to "clarity" from European manufacturer. But, I use the Traynors on my own music and everything else i do.

Try one. You won't regret it.

Jim C, GrapeBass and michael_t like this.
  18. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Would you consider the tone to be similar to a big, clean, full range, recording studio DI type of sound?
    I'm thinking that a comparison might be to an SWR amp?

19. Salome30Hz

Salome30Hz Guest

Dec 7, 2018
    To be honest, it's such a drag that there's no distribution in the UK for Traynor. I have contacted them directly, they've told me what I already knew and obliquely apologised for my having to buy my Traynor stuff in New York.