1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Traynor YB200 with a burning smell

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superleobassman, Mar 2, 2014.

1. superleobassman

superleobassman

Mar 2, 2014
    I just bought this head last week and it works great, great sound for the money. I'm running it through an Orange sp410 cab. However, I played 3 gigs this weekend and in all three gigs the amp got a burning smell. It never stop working, the sound was always good, but the smell was there, specially at the first gig. I read a post about the amp having a little bit dust inside, which seems to be the case because the smell wasn't as strong last night. Should I take it to a tech or should I keep playing it?
    Thanks.
    Leo

2. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Apr 8, 2013
    Whenever I go to my friends to jam I go home and throw the bass in the gig bag into the closet.
    The next day my closet has a burning smell.
    What's sad is I was only over there for about three hours.
    He smokes in his house.
    Maybe the smell you are smelling is from the amp being in a smokers house.
    Maybe...maybe not.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    At the end of the day, it's impossible for anyone to diagnose this condition with 100% certainty on this forum without actually seeing the amp. That said, if it's a brand new head and running fine it's more likely than not that this is just a new amp smell. But, if you've got a friendly local tech who could give it a quick once over... that would probably be a smart thing to consider.