1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traynor YC-188

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobby Lemain, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain

Aug 4, 2009
    California
    s3nck7.jpg
    10ems1z.jpg
    20ib1wl.jpg
    21m59gz.jpg
    sljlmq.jpg
    2me8f41.jpg

I understand the whole folded horn configuration but I have three questions. What is this (found behind the two 8" speakers)

2dulcvs.jpg
    11tq104.jpg

What are the cone shaped cones sticking out of the voice coils?
    And, does anyone know how many watts this monster can handle?

2. Those things behind the 8" are the crossover for the 8's so only the lows go to the 18". The cones on the cones of the 8" are called wizzer cones to help better disperse highs.
    No idea how much the cab is rated to handle.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    +1 to what B-string said.

After a quick google search, it's rated 300w @ 4 ohm.

4. I have a Traynor spec sheet showing their cabinets from the 70's. The YC-188 is spec'd as handling 300 watts @ 4ohms. It also shows its weight being 160 lbs.

TD

5. Destructobot

Destructobot

Jul 22, 2008
    Is that barnacle encrusted thing the back of the 18, or one of the 8's?

If it's the 8, post the back of the 18. I'm curious.

6. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    what a wild looking cab. I would love to hear it

7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I don't know why, but just looking at that cab makes me want to go punch my mama in the mouth.
    Grrrrrr.....i love it!

:scowl:

8. +1

9. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain

Aug 4, 2009
    California
    It's the 8. When I have hands around to help me hold the speaker (I'm pretty sure I won't be able to unscrew it, take a picture, and reload it into the cabinet by myself) then I'll take a picture. I still don't have a head to plug it into so I actually haven't heard it either...

Another question: The unofficial Acoustic site says that the Acoustic 301 was made from 1972-1977 with Cerwin-Vega 18" drivers. On the Yorkville website, their "history" states that in 1972, Gene Cerwinski struck a deal with Pete Traynor, and that very year made the YCV-18B (which is very similar to the Acoustic 301 since they both have Vega 18" folded horn designs). Which came first?

10. bottomend!

bottomend! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    This looks exactly like an Acoustic 301 with the addition of a crossover and two 8's. The 18 is most certainly a Cerwin vega too.

11. Destructobot

Destructobot

Jul 22, 2008
    You might have a hell of a time getting the 18 out. If it's like the Cerwin 15's in my YCV-215 cab, they have felt gaskets under the lip of the basket and will be WELL stuck to the wood. I had to pull pretty damn hard, but slowly and carefully to get it out without destroying the gasket. If it's a Cerwin 18, it probably weighs damn near 35 pounds as well.

I bet that cab would absolutely slay with some new 8's and speaker wire, maybe adjust the crossover a tad.

12. I had that monster when I started playing bass. If you were within 12 feet of it, all you could hear were the 8s. Meanwhile, another 20 feet away, the 18 was stopping someone's heart. An odd duck. A very heavy odd duck.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020