treble clef

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Oct 2, 2003.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I usually am reading bass clef for bass, and very occasionally treble. I typically (duh) read both for piano. So its obvious why when I sit down at a piano, I can plunk out a melody fairly easily off paper, but if I pick up my DB and try to read that melody, I keep playing off by a minor 3 because my eye/body wants it to be bass clef.

What's the best way to work on this? I guess practice, however it makes me feel so DUMB that I always just give up and go over to the piano...
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have found that by forcing myself to play parts written in treble clef I can now play anything in treble clef.

I guess it really is practice.

I've been in many situations where I was playing something not written for the bass.

That and all that forced piano playing in college...

I did the same thing with tenor clef, well, I was familiar with it from my years as a cellist. That is, I just played cello parts in tenor clef until I got used to doing it on the bass.

Maybe this helps...
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Try thinking of what you're reading not as visual dots on paper, but rather sounds you are trying to realize on your instrument as if you were singing. I find my greatest reading difficulties come when I'm seeing instead of hearing. Good luck.
  4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I know - its just that I hear the bass clef when I've got a bass in my hand. I'll just work on it. I've seriously not felt this stupid playing an instrument since...well...last week.