Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tremolo?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tawnos, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Tawnos

Tawnos

Sep 29, 2004
    Does anyone know how tremolo would sound on bass?

And if so, what are some of the better pedals for it?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I use tremolo, so naturally I think it sounds great. It lets you do some cool organ, twangy 'n' cool guitar stuff and all that wobbly goodness. The trick on a bass is to not go to extreme with the intensity so that the "bass" is still intact.

This one of those FX that you REALLY have to try your self, They are all a little different in the sound and more important quality. One thing you should know is that most trems when turned on will make your volume drop a bit, so one thing to look for is one with a gain/output control; I use the Boss TR-2 and I use a EQ pedal with it for boost and to add a little more treble.

3. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    i once tried the Voodoo Lab tremolo pedal and liked it very much.

:cool:

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Chris Squire of Yes used tremolo to great effect on "Starship Trooper" and "Heart of the Sunrise," among other songs. Tremolo's not the most common effect for bass, but it can sound cool.

5. It's great! I use tremolo on slower, suggestive songs to get "movement" to the sound. I mostly just leave it on a setting that wobbles slowly - no tempomatch.

A great pedal is the T-rex Tremster. It has a level-control to get away from the volume drop tghat you get with a lot of effcts. Or percieved volume loss anyway, it's really not a loss, but your ears fooling you. The "peak" of the waveform is the same, but as it swings "downwards" you percieve it as being lower at volume.

6. Tawnos

Tawnos

Sep 29, 2004
    OK, so I'm assuming any tremolo pedal can be used for bass then. There aren't specific "bass" tremolos? I just wanna make sure I don't do something stupid.

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for saying that. Now I feel obligated to go and spend money on one. Chris Squire has already got me wanting a Rick* and now all the effects. :D

*There are other reasons I want a rick too namely they look and sound awesome and they are reletively inexprensive for the quality... reletively $1000's still lots of cash when I could get a nice Jazz for cheaper.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yep,