Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tricotism

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Steve Bassman, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I heard a nice version with OP in a trio with Lucky Thompson and a guitarist a few weeks ago. In this version, the bass doubled the head with the sax. I assume this tune was recorded by OP on more than one occasion and I was wondering if there is one "defintive" version? If so, on what CD can it be found? Also, did OP always play the head when he performed this tune?

- Steve

My web page

2. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    If it's the recording I'm thinking of, it is a definitive version. Or at least my definitive version. That trio has Pettiford (who, of course, penned the tune) playing bass. It's the one I always go to when working out the tune. There are a few good versions including Ray Brown's "Two Bass Hit" and Cannonball Adderley's "Much in Common". But It sounds like you've got the definitive version. Have fun with the tune. It's a doosy (did I really just say that?).

3. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Yes, that is the definative version. That Ray version you mentioned, is the big band one? Damn, that's a smoking band! And Ray's walking and soloing is dynamite as usual.

Also check out Ray playing Tricotism with the Oscar Peterson Trio on "The Sound of the Trio." Ray tears it up!

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i'd say that pettiford version with lucky thompson is the definitave. at least, it's the origional, but for me, that's the version that defines the tune.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    If it's any confirmation, my teach handed me a transcription of that very version of Tricotism that was photocopied from some book from what it looks like. OP's solo is really cool, but a bitch for me to nail down. I'll stop whining now. :)

6. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I love this tune. I originally learned it from the Lucky Thompson version from the LP collection The Bass.

There's a great chart in Todd Coolman's The Bass Tradition book. There are also two versions in the new Sher "All Jazz" Real Book.

Along with the Ray Brown big band, I have a cool Duo of Joe Pass and NH0P on a record called Chops.

Dig it!

7. O.P. recorded this title twice, the other, earlier, version being found on "Bass by Pettiford/Burke" which I believe is a reissue of two unrelated 10 inchers on Bethlehem. Personnel on that recording are Oscar Pettiford b, cello, Julius Watkins f-h, Charlie Rouse ts, Duke Jordan p, Ron Jefferson d.

I prefer the version with Lucky Thompson which I think has a great feel to it.

Volker Nahrmann published a book of transcriptions of O.P. solos in 1988, entitled "The Music of Oscar Pettiford. Volume One". This is the most useful transcription of the tune that I have found.

A favorite recording of this for me is by Bill Crow on his "From Birdland to Broadway" album (his two albums on Venus label were named after his two books). It's taken at a little bit slower tempo, very swinging. I love the Ray Brown version too - especially the way it ends.

I have found this piece to be a bear to learn, but I'm glad I've spent the time on it.

8. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Besides "Tricotism," check out "My Little Cello."

9. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    By the way...what is the correct pronounciation of this title?

Try-ko-tizm / try-cot-izm / trick-o-tizm???

I've heard people use all three.

It's been a bit of mystery to me and my cohorts -- kind of like Miles Davis' Solar...

10. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    That's the one. ;)

11. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Thanks -- so, um, what does it mean? Any idea of the history of the title?

12. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I vaguely remember it having something to do with how "tricky" it is to play, but I could be totally wrong... Maybe one of the old guys know. :D (Just kidding!)

13. Steve Bassman

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
  14. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Yeah but my explanation is a lot hipper, no? ;)

15. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Hey -- was checking out the sheet music for this in the Chuck Sher All Jazz Real Book and the title is spelled Tricrotism. I guess this adds to the confusion regarding pronounciation -- as I believe I've heard it referred to like this before. Is this a misprint or a simple variation???

BTW -- My wife, who is a cardiac nurse, never heard of this term and even looked it up in one of her medical dictionaries. Maybe it's an outdated name for some condition?

The tune still swings though!

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Okay, curiosity got the best of me, so I Googled on "Tricotism" and found a George Shearing CD review that claims that the words means....."knitting" :meh:

17. according to http://themenschmidt.de/don.htm

the published title is TRICOTISM aka TRACTATISM aka TRICROTISM. BMI WORK 1544543. Onyx Publ.

that website is an excellent resource on the recordings of O.P.

18. Steve Bassman

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Jason, thanks for sending me those transcriptions. The differences between the three versions is interesting. The second version from the All Jazz Real Book seems to be the most accurate when compared to the Lucky Thompson recording. Todd Coolman's transcription is a little different in a few places but OP's bass solo is a bonus. The chord changes are nice to solo over, even if they are in Db. I plan to work it up and perform it on upcoming jazz gigs.

- Steve

My web page

19. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Yeah, not my favorite key...but it does flex those jazz muscles! I love the use of the A Dominant chord...when the Db itself becomes C# if only for a moment!

Jason

20. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Steve,

Did you also notice on Todd's transcription the alternate two bar phrase at the end of the bridge? I think this is because OP played it differently on two separate recordings.