1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Triplets with 2 fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassWindu711, Aug 8, 2012.

1. I've always done triplets with 2 fingers, I've always found it easier than 3. When I do it I actually go back and hit the string with the front side of my finger (nail side). I've seen a lot of people do 3 and I just wanna know how many people actually do it with 2?

2. Sloop John D

Sloop John D

Jun 29, 2012
    I use two fingers for triplets also.

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    me too-although i have never alternated fingers; one always does double duty but it works for me.

4. I just feel using two fingers gives a more controlled sound.

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    basic thing to do it with two finger alternating ...

6. Thats what i do. I just use my nail side as well.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Man, when I was 16 I learned every Maiden song from 1st to 7th Son using only 2 fingers. And not like alternate picking fingerstyle using the flesh side then the nail side - just the flesh.

Then I discovered the ring finger. Happy days!

8. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Steve Harris uses only two fingers.

I play triplets with three fingers, feels more comfortable.

9. I use to fingers, can't get an even sound with 3.

10. Whenever I play triplets I go I-M-M (index-middle-middle), as opposed to I-M-I. Just sounds more "right" to my ears.

11. I use 2 fingers. flesh side only. index index middle. The first time I tried galloping that is what came natural and I have always found it to be the easiest/most comfortable.

12. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    What with all the Steve Harris talk ??? his sig rythm gallop isn't a triplet if is all what you think.

13. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I-M-I M-I-M I-M-I M-I-M

14. I start with my middle. M-I-M, M-I-M. M-I-M. The 2nd M in each gallop is with my nail side. I know its pretty weird. It was just natural to me when I started learning Maiden songs.

15. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I alternate index-middle also, but I start with whichever one is next in line (if the phrase I just played ended with my middle, the triplet will start with my index)
    I've always been envious of guys that can use 3 fingers with consistency (Billy Sheehan comes to mind, but he plays pretty much everything alternating 3 fingers). I want to develop it, but I end up feeling that "old dog, new trick" mentality, and fall back to what is comfortable and easiest.

16. jordan2

jordan2

Apr 2, 2011
    For me it really depends on what I'm playing. It comes down to precision vs speed.
    Like if I'm play the triplets at the beginning of Donna Lee I will use two fingers but if when I am playing those fast triplets in the bass solo of my generation I will use three fingers. Stuff like that.

17. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    A lot of folks refer to eighth note followed by two sixteenths as a "triplet" since there's three notes in the beat. Technically it's not a triplet unless they're evenly divided three to the beat, but who's counting?

Not the lead guitarist, that's for sure.:bag:

18. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I-M-I M-I-M I-M-I M-I-M, too.

19. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Hey, how would the lead guitarist be able to shred if they were counting?

20. I used to do triplets with 2 fingers, now I just use my index finger and alternate picking.