1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trombone and bass duos?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by punkjazzben, Feb 27, 2013.

1. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    My most recent musical venture has come to a close, and the circumstances have left me feeling like a break from the ups and downs of playing with a group of musicians. My fiancé and I were talking about the other night and we thought "Why don't we play jazz together?" (she has played trombone for about fifteen years).

So, who's ever heard a good jazz trombone and double bass duo that we can get inspiration from? I know Eddie Bert did an album with that combination, but I can't get hold of it right now. I cannot seem to find any examples of this combination on YouTube, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Any general thoughts on the idea would be great to hear, as well.

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Check out Wycliffe Gordon and Jay Leonhart, "This Rhythm On My Mind". Lots of vocals, as you might expect from those two, but a quirky, fun album.

Trombone and bass are my "double" - of course, if I did a duet, I'd just be playing with myself ...

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    in a similar vein, the Paul Rutherford / Paul Rogers duo 'Rogues' is incredible (http://www.emanemdisc.com/E4007.html)

4. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Not double bass, but Jaco Pastorius and Albert Mangelsdorff