Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trombonists Unite!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Hey, I just wanted to see who else on the board plays trombone. I've seen a couple hanging out in the background of some bass pictures.

I've been playing for about 7 years and right now I'm a freshman at University of Maryland College Park majoring in music performance on t-bone.

Anyone else studying trombone or playing it professionally?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Sorry, I don't play trombone, but I want to say that I like that instrument a lot and that I'm a HUGE fan of Christian Lindberg, easily the best trombone player in the world. I have some of his CDs and I'd like to have a video of him playing the "Motorbike Concerto", which was the piece he played the first and only time I saw him in action. He simply blew my mind.

3. But a close friend(also primarily a bassist)blows trombone. My brother played in school(jr high). I like it- do I get half-credit? :rolleyes:

4. A Christian Lindberg fan? Awesome! Do you have any Joe Alessi? I personally prefer him, but Lindberg is the god of recorded trombone classical music.

Bassteban, you only get credit if you paid to go to a concert he was in. He needs your money:)

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I played it in middle school band for a little while. Incidentally, I had a dream last night where I sat in on my middle school's band playing trombone.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

No, Wolf. I don't know Joe Alessi. Can you give me further info? BTW, Christian Lindberg's version of the Arthur Pryor tune called "Blue Bells Of Scotland" is one of the most exquisite trombone performances I've ever heard.

Edit: In fact, I can proudly say that I'm the responsible of introducing CL to the all the trombone players in my town. Not even an Ukranian trombonist (a good friend of mine) knew about Lindberg before I mentioned him.

7. DeanG

DeanG

Jul 30, 2005
    I played trombone years ago in high school before switching to baritone horn and then bass guitar/string bass.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think Trombonists are a high enough class of musician to deserve a thread in Miscellaneous. :D

How do slide trombonists feel about valve trombonists a la Juan Tizol? is it like fretless players look at bassists who play fretted?

9. I am not a trombonist, but it was my second instrument in grade school. The first was trumpet until the rental ran out. ;)

Couldn't play worth a darn, my arms at that age were to short to reach 7th position. But is was my introduction to music and reading. That alone was worth it.

10. I'm in a very similar postion. It's just that I don't have a bro.

11. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Trombone! 6 years, but not so much recently. I should change that.

12. Alessi is the principal trombonist of the New York Philharmic and is widely considered one of the best classical trombonists in the world. He also teaches at Juilliard. Here's his website. Apparently the site's intro is a jazz recording, but don't be fooled. I think you can hear some samples in the recordings section.

I don't think the valve vs. slide is the same as fretted vs. fretless. The only valve trombonists I know of are jazzers. I don't really have an explanation for it, but they're really not standard at all. I get the impression from trying out one or two that it's harder to get a big, full sound on it. Besides, you gotta love the slide. ;)

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I have a Paquito D'Rivera LP in which Claudio Roditi plays trumpet and valve trombone and there's a song with a trombone solo that is one of my favorites.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I love trombone. I tend to particularly like those players with a less, how shall I say, *genteel* sound. There was a guy who used to play with Carla Bley back in the '80s--was it Gary Valenti?--who had this big fat raw sound that I loved.

To make a bass connection, there's a kind of cool record called Trilogue that Jaco did with Alphonse Mouzon on drums and the remarkable German trombonist Albert Mangelsdorff.

On a different note, one of my brothers has a Latin record by Willie Colon and Ruben Blades that uses a horn section made up entirely of trombones (Colon apparently is a trombonist). Very cool sound.

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Yes. Willie Colon is a trombonist and singer. Purists hate his sound because it's very rough, but his taste when playing is awesome. When he played with the Fania All Stars, Barry Rogers was the "technical" trombonist and Colón was in charge of the taste.

16. i played trombone for a few years in year 6 and 7... i got decent enough and was offered a scholarship but didnt take it because im a nugget and was too cool for skool

17. I don't play trombone, but my good friend does. Our band digs it enough to ask him to do some solos in some of our songs, and people love it. One of the bars we play at has a trombone on the wall with a hockey stick as the slide. Perhaps I shall have to listen to some of these trombone artists, as I am a fan of trombone, but apart from the occasional school band I haven't heard much.

18. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    seems to me the trombone was a very prominent solo instrument in the 30's and 40's and then fell to third fiddle behind sax and trumpet.

I've seen Fred Wesley perform w/ Mike Clark's Prescription Renewel and that Cat is awesome! l also have a CD W/ Al Grey and Jack McDuff that grooves nicely.

I like horn sections that have a 'bone it--rounds it out real nice!

what about sackbutt? ;)

19. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    My class is puting up a concert with the local chamber orchestra and IIRC Christan Lindberg will be the conductor! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

The music students in our class including me will write half of the music for the concert and i'm writing a piece for it. :hyper:

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Please tell him he has a huge fan in South America (a bass player) who has took care of spreading his name among trombonists in a small town.