Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True Bypass Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Electricmayhem, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Who actually makes these things? The only one I know about is the American Big Muff. Please assist!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Not sure I understand the question... many pedals are true bypass (i.e. fulltone), many pedals are not true bypass (i.e. boss).

What are you looking for?

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Sorry I'm confusing you...

I was wondering which companies makes pedals that have true bypass circuits.

I know that Boss and EBS don't have true bypass and wanted to know some pedals that do.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, the EBS pedals are buffered bypass I believe.

Most boutique manufacturers (i.e. fulltone, zvex, barber) use true bypass, it's usually a selling point of theirs so you can usually tell from their website or from whatever online retailer is selling them.

Of the bigger pedal manufacturers, the Akai's (Unibass/Deep Impact) are supposed to be true bypass but some people have expressed doubts about that.

5. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Okay... I'm at Pedalboards.com and they sell "true bypass strips". Would this take care of tonesuckers?

(Or am I just confusing myself even more?

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Those true bypass strips are, from what I can tell, just another word for the effects loop boxes sold by loooper.com and others (morgan miller, keeley etc).

You put your pedals in one or more loops, and bring them in and out of the signal chain by engaging/disengaging the loops. The loop boxes themselves are true bypass.

There are several benefits to this:

1) You can keep tone sucking pedals out of your signal chain when not in use
    2) You can bring multiple pedals in/out out the chain at once, avoiding some pedal dancing.

I have a three loop loooper, it has A/B/C loops and a master bypass so I can bring one to three loops in/out at a time. I group the pedals functionally.
    Loop A has octaver/overdrive/distortion
    Loop B has fuzz/envelope filter/synth
    Loop C has wah wah

So if I want to bring A and C in at the same time, which I do often to get distortion into wah, it's easy.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    David got the true bypass strips right. Sends your signal straight through, until you stomp on a switch, which engages a loop, routing your signal through that. Useful for grouping pedals together. I personally prefer to mod my pedals for true bypass. Takes up less room on the pedalboard and just frankly is more useful IMO. Nothing against these loopers, but the mass of cable needed to work the things properly is absurd.

8. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    A LOOOPER is the way to go!!!