1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

truss rod installation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Armacielli, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Armacielli

Armacielli

Oct 16, 2008
    I plan to glue on the FB tommorrow. when installing the truss rod do I need to do anything other than put it in the groove and put the FB on?

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I use tape over the truss rod to prevent the glue from going in the channel and preventing proper truss rod function.
    Happy Glue up,
    Dirk

3. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I use Tite Bond to glue the tr, their's nothing worse than a rattling tr. when your done.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Here's what I do:

I make sure that I lubricate the threads at both ends ( I use "open and shut"). Use about a dot of silicone, where the threaded blocks sit, then use clear packing tape over it and cut it to the very edges of the slot.

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    ive heard of guys putting in a dab of silicone to keep the rod from rattling/ moving. im going totry that next time. o and make sure the rod is in "upside up". nothing worse than realizing that the trussrod is upside down or backwards after youre finished

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    i did this on my EUB, fortunately the neck was thick enough, that I didn't need to use it much, besdes, It was just reversed (hot rods). I have toyed with putting thin cardboard under the rod, but it didn't make any difference, didn't have any rattle to test that theory.

7. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    If the rout is tight enough you should never have a rattle issue.
    I use the dual action LMI rods and literally have to squeeze them in the channel. The LMI rods are shrink tubed on the rod itself also.
    Dirk