1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

truss rod removal?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Deanbassist445, May 10, 2010.

1. :help: hey to all the luthiers

Is it possible to remove a truss rod from a neck and ho wwould i go about achieving it?

a little background on the bass itself. i bought it out of the pawn shop and the truss rod was snapped, so this i pretty much a learning expierence for me so if i competely ruin and distroy the neck.

2. what is the make and model of the bass?

3. it is a silvertone ld11 i believe

4. Im not familiar with the bass. any pictures of the neck back and front and where the truss rod access is?

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    What type of neck? Skunk or non-skunk?

6. i don't know what skunk or non-skunk means >.< but the truss ron adjustment is at the head stock end of the neck

7. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    You will want to pop off the fretboard and pull out the rod. An iron will work to melt the glue. You may or may not have a filler piece above the rod itself.

8. ok cool, now how would i go about popping off the fretboard?

9. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Heat and a strong flat knife. Work slowly and carefully.

Picture019.

Picture020.

10. awesome thank you a lot and now i have my weekend project

11. Those old Silvertones are ace! please don't ruin the bass...it's a beaut if you get it playing! :p