Try a leather pick.

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by AboutSweetSue, May 5, 2021.

1. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Try it. You might like it. Been using this one for four years. F7646153-F32C-4DFD-A764-C7774F9907BC.jpeg

2. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Hmmm, maybe I will. I used to have one I made from rubber, out of a setting shim for glazing insulated window units.

3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Leather is a great material. It’s akin to the thumb, but with more precision. The choice of leather is paramount. Still looking for a good source.

4. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I hear cows make pretty good leather

Splash7, BLDavis, Wambemando and 23 others like this.
  5. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Ha, I wish it were that simple.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  6. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Cool idea. Leather would have about the right amount of flex and less string noise than harder materials.

AboutSweetSue likes this.
  7. yogibarrister

yogibarrister

Dec 29, 2017
    That's a fantastic idea! I like picks sometimes, but you lose the "thump" and texture of fingering. A leather pick could very well be the best of both worlds!

8. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    E244E623-2563-4262-98D5-92A4C842D6DE.jpeg

9. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    OK . To each their own

10. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Arizona
    I can imagine that would sound amazing, but I'm astonished it could last four years! Is it leather around a standard pick, or just plain thick sturdy leather?

Now you got me casting a curious look at my belt :roflmao: Could be a laugh at a show to start playing with your belt, so long as your pants have a tight enough waist.

11. jschulman

jschulman

Aug 21, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Damn, that is a well-used pick!

12. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    I feel like I’ve found my life-pick. I use flat-wounds exclusively which definitely adds to the longevity.

MattZilla and BBassBassington like this.
  13. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    I bought it at a souvenir shop in Nashville off Broadway. I went back about a year later and bought three more...all lost by this point in time except for the original, unfortunately. Went downtown this past weekend to see if they had more but had no luck.

Not sure what leather they used. Damn fine pick, though. Gives a precise, percussive and thumpy tone. It’s akin to using your thumb but with more percussive tone and enhanced maneuverability. It can also be persuaded in tone through water and drying. I ran it through the washer at least once, and it came out sounding like a wood pick for a while. Returned to its natural characteristics quickly enough.

BunchyMutt and mikewalker like this.
  14. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
  15. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I use a felt pick and it works well. No scratchy-scratch sound from my lack of technique.

16. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Isn't the kontrabass balalaika (Russian/eastern European folk instrument) typically played with a hard leather pick? So leather picks used on bass instruments has been a thing for a long time now.

I don't see a reason why a leather pick can't be used on a bass guitar. I think the most prohibitive thing about it would be cost, since leather is more expensive than plastic, and if you lose your precious/valuable leather pick, you're kinda up a creek since you can't just borrow any old pick from a nearby guitarist.

17. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I got a few leather picks with a strap that my wife bought me. I use them occasionally, they sound great.

18. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    Tone x 25.

s-l300.jpg

19. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Leather picks have been used for centuries. And, it is true that losing one hurts. I lost the one in the pick for a few months and was severely disappointed. Cost is high up-front, but the long-term payoff is well worth it...if you don’t lose it.

Dincrest likes this.
  20. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Anyway, maybe one of y’all will be tempted to try one, and will be as pleased as I have been.

I’ve had TB overload for one week so I’m out. Happy playing.

Oddly, EddiePlaysBass, Mili and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021