Tryin before buyin.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanInMissJones, Jun 18, 2004.

1. DanInMissJones

Jun 15, 2004
    Hello. I'm gonna buy a 4 string MusicMan Stingray. I'm just wondering is it really necessary for me to play it before I buy it. I played a translusent red one with a black circle and I loved it....but im not 100% on the colour (I know man) I can order one in a different colour....but I dont want to get it and find that it feels wrong. Is it possible to set two MusicMan Stingrays up exactly the same.......or do two always 'feel' different?
    I dont know if i've made myself clear, I guess I'm just looking for other peoples experiences with tryin 'n' buyin different Stingrays.

Cheers man.
  2. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I played three Rays before I found mine. I was all set on a four but really liked the feel of the five. QC is great coming out of the MM factory so you should be alright considering the ax is coming across the pond. The neck joints are IMO some of the tightest out there and fret work is outstanding. Before playing make sure strings and battery are fresh. Good luck Big Ray hunting.... :bassist:
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've owned two Stingrays in the past and they did feel and sound a bit different to was a red stain and one was white. They also were different weights as I recall...leading me to wonder if opaque finished basses have different woods than stained ones. Also, they were different years. Both basses sounded and felt great however. I think if you're set on a Stingray, you'll probably be happy with a un-played purchase. I think Ernie Ball has pretty good quality control, but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong.

What's wrong with red and black? Change the black pickguard to white and you're good to go. :bag:

4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    no 2 basses are the same, among any model. I used to own two different Fodera Victor Wooten Monarch basses and those 2 were like night and day from each other
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Definitely, two "like" basses can be very different in many respects: weight, tone, feel, whatever. At the very least you should be able to return it or have purchase dependent on the set-up meeting your standards. For me it's a lot easier to eliminate a bass I don't like than pick out one I do. I have to play a bass over a period of months to really know I like it. A bass can sound great solo'd but unplayable to music.
  6. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia

I've just ordered my new Stingray sight unseen as well.

Natural Ash with Maple neck & board.....Yummmmmmmmy

Have only paid a deposit to the dealer so that he can get the one that I want from the Australian Importer. It'll arrive at the dealers on Tuesday for me to try out before I hand over the final payment.

It's a big deal getting them into Australia generally speaking. The importers order as many as they can get & they are pretty much all presold before they hit our country so I've been told. I'm just lucky they had the exact one I wanted at the importers ( it must have been waiting for me I figure )..

Anyhoo.....I'm one extatic doode right now.....