1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

Trying To Fix A Bad Paint Repair Job

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LarkinLondon, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Long story short, I let someone "repair" my guitar when I shouldn't have.

It looks like they used some type of paint to try and cover up all the scratches in the finish.
    Scratches that are all over the back, some on the back of the neck, and a thin line on either side of the binding on the neck.

I have no idea what paint they used, but it's rubbing off when I play. All over my hands, on my clothes. It washes off of hands, but I don't have any idea what to do with ALL this paint on my guitar.

Should I find something and try and seal it all? Put a thin coat all on my guitar? Should I try and wash it all off?
    Do I need to take it to a professional and let them handle it? Would paying for a stripping and new paint job be an option or is that an over-reaction?

2. smithcreek

smithcreek Commercial User

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Luthier/Owner, Christopher Bass Guitar and Smith Creek Mandolin
    First thing is ask the guy what it is. Depending on that the original finish is, that will dictate how to get it off, finish over it or strip it down.

T_Bone_TL and Dadagoboi like this.
  3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Yup. First, try to find out what was used.

Second, try to get your money back, since it clearly didn't work.

Don't add to your pain by letting the incompetent genius try again.

Lacking any further info, I'd lean towards strip it all the way back to wood and refinish, but that might depend on if there was any value to the original finish, and if any of that value remains after genius repainted it for you.