1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to Identify TWO Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xenos, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    :help:

I have two basses that I know nothing about, despite having owned both of them for 3+ years.

Google yields no results.
    Bing, same story.
    Yahoo, psh, who the hell uses Yahoo search anyway? ;)

SO, on the advice of another bass playing friend of mine, I joined up here, in the hopes that y'all can point me in the right(ish) direction!

Up first, we have this one:

[​IMG]

I know NOTHING about it, other than the bridge says "Overlord of Music." My wife got it for me for Father's Day a few years back. I've SERIOUSLY played it maybe twice. Not that I don't LIKE it, it's just a b*tch to tune, and as it has NO markings anywhere on the neck, it's very, VERY hard to play. When I DO play it, it has one of the tightest, punchiest, brightest sounds I've ever heard-particularly from a fretless!

What I'm driving at, my wife did good.

After that, we have THIS one:

[​IMG]

Again, I know nothing about it, other than it says "GTX 300" on the headstock. It's a 5-string, currently unstrung, as it needs some TLC. Whoever owned it before me, tried smashing it on stage, so it REALLY needs some work. I am slowly but surely doing a bit here and there on it, trying to get it back to working order, on account of it does have a really sweet sound.

So, if y'all know anything about either of them, please, do let me know!

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    GTX was a Kaman sub-brand produced in Korea between 1990 and 1994.

3. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Nov 6, 2010
    Beckley, WV
    Overlord of music seems to be a headless bridge maker. I've seen that bass before but I can't remember where. I'll keep searching. It's definitely the band Queensryche's logo.

4. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've seen the Overlord on ebay. I think it was called a "Batwing Bass."

5. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
  6. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks for that info-now I know an age range, and who made it. I've been looking since 2008!

Aye, that much I've been able to divine. I've seen it a couple of other places, and my father-in-law says a silver one is in a Janice Joplin music video. So apparently it's SOMETHING... Just ain't no info to be had on it!

Overlord of Music, from what I've been able to divine, is a cheap guitar parts manufacturer. They also make bass trems, which I may EVENTUALLY look into-but as is, I don't want to change a damn thing about this bass, because seriously, it sounds GOOD.

Aye, I've come across that, but it gets me no closer to who actually MADE the bass...

Got it at a used music shop/coffee shop combo back when we were still in our Black Saturn, so that'd have been 2009ish. Paid $100, cash out the door, and got a B.C. Rich gig back to keep it in (I keep my Iceman in it, actually).

I'd like to have the fretted version as well-it's a sweet sounding and sweet playing little axe!

7. Those Queensryche symbol basses have been running rampant on eBay for quite some time.

And, they're great for a jazz, or country/western gig.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    And bluegrass

9. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    Classical, as well. Any kind of classical. Folk, too!

Also, just realized, I was asked if it was set-neck or bolt-on; it's a bolt-on. No marks on the outside of the neckplate, and I do not trust my ability to remove it and see if there's a maker's mark underneath it.

Although, if it comes to that, I will.

If I knew how to link videos, I'd post a link of me playing it (I make a couple of flubs), not that that'd HELP, but because it sounds DAMN GOOD!

10. I see those batwing basses on eBay all the time. I can't remember if they were in the musical instrument or weapon section. That would be a great bass to take to a scary gig.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The Queensryche (batwing) bass does not have a brand name when it shows up on ebay. It's a Chinese made no name brand bass- although I don't see much of the fretless ones. Not to say it's not a decent sounding bass as there are a lot of basses made in China that sound great, just not branded with some company we know when it hit our shores. Can make a handy dandy weapon in a pinch too.

12. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    I used it in an eerie sounding song. Again, made a few flubs, but never rightly messed around on a fretless before-and this one has NO MARKERS!

There it is. Forgive the flubs. Fluffy (the other bassist) did a damn fine job, though, so yeah.

So you're saying it HAS no brand? It's just some knocker, thrown together in Mainland China, with no intent to brand or anything like that?

Huh... No wonder I've not been able to find a damn lick of information on the damn thing!

As to the sound, as I've said-I very, VERY much like the sound of it. I just checked the Bay of E, couldn't find any though-don't mean they're not there, just might not be looking in the right places. I'd love to have the fretted companion to it, because again, it's got KILLER tone (in my opinion).

13. lundborg

lundborg

Apr 8, 2008
    The black one looks like one of those knockoffs of the Queensryche ESP triryche guitar.

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA