1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TU-3 Buffer vs designated buffer pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 400thecat, Dec 5, 2018.

1. 400thecat

400thecat

Sep 18, 2018
    I've had a Boss TU-2 for as long as I've had a pedalboard but as my board has grown in number of true bypass pedals I've become more interested in its quality as a buffer. How does Boss's buffer compare to a standalone buffer pedal such as the JHS Little Black Buffer or an Empress Buffer? Would it be a noticeable shift for the better to switch to a true bypass polytune but add one of these into the mix or does the Boss buffer hold its own?

Thank you!

armybass and gregmon79 like this.
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    This has always been something I was curious about as well.

3. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I think on bass with not too long a cable, I can't tell if a buffer is on or off, and you are asking between differences to buffers. Wish I had such golden ears :)

400thecat likes this.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You don't need long cables to appreciate the effect of a buffer. All you need is a gain based pedal like a fuzz for example in your chain. A buffer will allow consistent tone whatever other pedal comes before or after.

400thecat likes this.
  5. Boss buffers have always been okay but you might get better performance from a stand alone current tech buffer. I know when i switched to an [sfx]microThumpinator it was a vast improvement.

DirtyDuke and BassBuzzRS like this.
  6. 400thecat

400thecat

Sep 18, 2018
    Thanks for the input! I'm about to add a true bypass fuzz to my board so I'll see if this affects anything. If so, think will give adding a JHS buffer to the end of my chain while keeping the TU-3 in front a try

7. 400thecat

400thecat

Sep 18, 2018
    I don't have golden ears myself and that's why I'm consulting here ;)

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    It's on my board too :)

bassbrad likes this.
  9. Not all buffers are really equal either. Whether they use an IC or a JFET, etc, what their output impedance is...

I like AMZ's buffer PCB. A bit pricey, but very versatile. Can use a JFET or an opamp, it's small, and can suit a number of different needs. If you don't need a super low output impedance because you're using a fuzz pedal, for example, AMZ's buffer can do that. JHS's buffer is decent.

You can also use a boost pedal and achieve the same thing. Boosts add gain, while buffers are unity-gain, but they work in similar ways.