1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube amp: volume vs. speakers

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by JimmyM, Sep 17, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Which do you think is more important...being able to crank a tube amp to its highest usable clean volume, or having more cabs?

I've been using my 64 B-15N with an extension cab onstage in a stack, and the guys in my band and I all love the sound. But I can't help thinking that its mic'ed sound, even though it still sounds great, sounds better in the PA when I can open it up and crank it to its full juice before distortion. When I use a single cab, I can crank it up to its full juice, but it sounds quite a bit thinner onstage. When I use two cabs, I can only use half of its whopping 25 watts, but the sound onstage is incredible.

It looks like I can only choose one. My band's got some ass to it but we're not loud onstage, and cranking the full stack isn't going to be an option. So which would be more important to you...getting the full juice from the head and sounding great in the PA while sacrificing stage sound, or getting the incredible stage sound while sounding very good but not great in the PA?

BTW, I'm also interested in others' opinions as well.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Hmmm....I'd say that you should use the two cabs and maybe use a Hot Plate or something so you can crank up the amp as well.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Interesting...never even thought of that. That sounds like it would work ;) Thanks Justin!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ouch, those Hot Plates aren't real cheap, are they? When I see that price, I think maybe I'm getting a little too anal for my own good ;)

5. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Yeah, perhaps.

I'd say make it sound inspiring for you first and foremost.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, I think you're right as usual. The audience can care less since it still sounds good, I suppose. I just wish people in the band weren't such volume wussies to where I can't turn a 25w amp up all the way. It's not like we're playing jazz...

Thanks again, J.