Tube Sound in a Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FatBottomThump, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Sans amp is good, but I'm really digging the Tech 21 VTBASS

2. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive, Compressore, LPB-2UBE

Also have a sansamp RBI, but find its overdrive too thin and raspy - use it for clean tones mostly.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Love mine. I took it off the pedalboard for a little while trying to downsize but I miss it for certain things so I think I'm going to put it back on. It can be a little tricky getting sounds at first, but for solid state tube emulation, it's hard to beat.

4. inmate13

inmate13

Nov 4, 2010
    I had SansAmp BDDI and RBI but i prefer Hartke VXL. It's really cheaper with same sounding, sometimes even better for my taste :)

-----> wait's to get smacked for dissing S.A.

HAHAHAHAHA

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    VXL's a strong pedal, bro. Can be a little scoopy at times, but setting the blend knob at the right setting added the mids I like back into it without dulling any effectiveness of the pedal. I find it a different ballgame than the Sansamp stuff since most Sansamp bass products are about Ampeggy sounds and the Hartke is more of a Hartke "simulator" (ha-ha), but quite good and the price is good, too.

7. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    If you're looking for tube distortion then no pedal will sound right. If you're looking for a tube amp set clean sound then you're really looking for vintage style eq (like the Sansamp stuff or the Barber Linden EQ).

When you say you hope it handles dirt well do you mean that all of your dirt will come from other sources?

I will say without hesitation that I have heard distortion pedals that have way better breakup than any tube amp I've played. But it all depends on what you're looking for.

“Tube Sound” unfortunately is not descriptive enough for us to help you.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021