1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tubes for a SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Feb 25, 2008.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    First off. Where is the cheapest place to buy them?

Second. Any recommendations to get some good gain?

3 12AX7
    2 12AU7
    6 6550

I know of Bayou Audio and The Tube Store.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Calling Psycho Bass Guy! He's the guy you need to talk to around here. He's nuts about Ampeg tube gear and and quite knowledgeable.

Lots of good tube suppliers to go to and I'm sure others will chime in. Doug's Tubes and Tube Depot come to mind as names I've seen bandied about here.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    KCA NOS Tubes is a great store. No specific suggestions on my part though. :meh:

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I have always been a fan of JJ's in a pre section.

5. www.dougstubes.com

retubed my SVT-CL last summer w/ JJ/Tesla's in the pre and Svetlana's in the power section. All alike tubes were matched and shipped to my door for about $198.00.

6. xCOFFMANx

xCOFFMANx

Jun 10, 2008
    I am using JJ's in the power and pre section. www.eurotubes.com those guys are great!

7. hoey222

hoey222

Oct 12, 2001
    wilmington, de
    i've used ned at triode electronics - his descriptions on tubes could help you decide on what to try for more gain.

http://store.triodestore.com/12axec7057.html

you could shoot him an email too - he's pretty good about replying

8. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392180 <-- my 12ax7 tube comparo

i, personally, prefer the original GE tubes but they may be a little less gain-y than you're looking for. they're mellower than the newer tubes (like sovtek WA or WE) but give me a much thicker yet well defined bottom to my sound.

i got all my NOS and used tubes off ebay. you can find some kickass deals on high quality NOS and used tubes (great old stuff like GE, RCA, and Telefunken tubes) there with a little patience, just make sure that the seller lists the testing numbers for the tubes along with "normal" range numbers since different testers end up with different numbers.

9. my apologies, but my tube clips appear to be down at the moment....webserver probably died, i'll get it back up and running later tonight when i get home from work

10. Sorry for bringing it up but..

I'm about to retube my SVT-CL
    It still sounds ok, but tubes are a bit worn
    What is more I would like to have more 'grit' in the sound, like an overdrive in low frequencies

I've been always a huge fan of Sovtek tubes.
    Do you recomend Sovtek 6550WE for this amp?
    Also what pre-amp, and driver tubes should I use to get huge, gritty sound suitable for metal?

Thanks for advice.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Your tubes are fine. If your amp works OK, new tubes would just be a waste of money. And any changes in drive levels would be minimal at best with a tube change. You're best off just saving your money and enjoying it. Tubes can last decades if they're well-made and taken care of properly.

12. sounds fine, but is it fine?
    right section is ok, but an the left there is only red led - no green
    so one of the tubes is probably dead

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe, or it could just need rebiased.

14. Are you looking for Cleaner and more Headroom??

Than all i would do is pop a JJ in the first preamp slot in your amp (which should be closest to the input.)

I imagine there are 3 12ax7's in the preamp section? Hell, put 2 JJ's in the first 2 slots

thats where most of the sound is coming from, so if you put a tube in that first slot that distorts really quickly, your sound will not have much headrooms

15. Koobler

Koobler

Mar 30, 2007
    Buffalo, New York
    www.fliptops.net

local guy who does world class work for famous musicians. guy carries everything Ampeg, vintage and modern. he's the only dude I go to for my Ampeg stuff, he just did a bunch of maintenance on my '72 SVT. his e-store is also timely and very fair in pricing.

16. I've done biasing
    I know a lot about preamp valves because I've used to hace Trace Elliot V-type and SVT3pro
    I like to use Sovtek's in preamp due to it's a bit distorted hi-gain sound
    It's not about the headroom - I'm loud enough

It's all about the gritty low end - just to reproduce agressive lows of my Spector

17. musocat

musocat Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Hollywood, CA, USA
    Endorses: Dean Markley strings
    I got a set of them recently, and they rock! Make sure you get them from someone who burns them in before matching, preferably from someone specializing in tubes for musical instrument amps. I would recommend steering clear of eBay. Too many amateur "tube dealers" there.

I have found that the new Tung-Sol 12ax7 tubes are outstanding - lots of gain, low noise, low microphonics. They are the best 12ax7s I've heard since the Ruby 7025 "Silver Specials" from around ten years ago. I only have two new Rubies left, so I was quite pleased that the Tung-Sols turned out so good.

As for the drivers, NOS Philips 12au7 tubes still seem to be available for reasonable prices (around 15 bucks) and would work nicely.