Tuner advice please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Berten, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    I did a quick search and didn't find what i was looking for...

Can you guys advice me a good, cheap tuner? I'm looking for a pedal or a rack tuner and it chould be muteable.
    Please consider that it has to be available in europe...

Thanks a lot!
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Define what 'cheap' is to you? It's a different figure to every person, and especially when you're in Europe and most people here are in the US.
    Lots of people, including myself, like the Boss TU-2. But there are other good tuners at same price level or lower.

And how quick a search was it? I searched for 'pedal' and 'tuner' and on the first page of results I got this thread:
  3. Berten

Jun 6, 2002

My search was very quick. I'm at work (I don't have internet at home), so I can't use to much time surfing the net...

And by cheap I mean: as cheap as possible...the TU-2 costs about 120 euro's, so that isn't very cheap....
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Right, yet you asked about rack tuners - which implies not so cheap. The cheapest rack tuner I know of is about $130 - more than 50% more than the price of a TU-2.
    That's why I ask what 'cheap' is to you. Compared to a rack tuner, the TU-2 IS cheap.
    If you mean REALLY cheap, yet functional, I've never had any problems with any of the Boss tuners - TU-6, TU-8, TU-12 are all perfectly functional tuners.
  5. I once had a really good DOD"tuna" pedal...I bought if new for $75!
    Too bad it was stolen!
  6. Yes the TU-2 might not be the cheapest tuner but I think it might be the best. It's simple to use, easy to read on every stage I've been on (outdoor included) and it just makes so much sense - step on it, tune in silence, and you're ready to go. It makes every musician/band sound 200% more professional (hey dude, give me an A).

Money well spent on a unit that will last a lifetime.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    one more vote for the tu-2
    i couldnt be happier with mine
  8. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I personally use a really cheap 15 dollar Korg hand-held chromatic tuner. It works fine for me.

I do plan on getting a rack tuner eventually tho..
  9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Am using a Korg dtr-1, don't recall what I paid, but it is now an outdated model... so you might find one cheap cheap on the used. I like it for visibility from afar... and it is fairly accurate.
  10. try a peterson strobostomp. expensive... but strobe tuners are best
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Expensive or not, the Boss TU-2 is a life-saver on stage and the only pedal I regularly use. It's fast, bright, rugged, and doesn't color my signal to any noticeable degree.

I note that Korg has a decent-looking pedal tuner. I personally haven't tried it, but it should be a little cheaper than the TU-2.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've used three different and they all have thier advantages:

BOSS TU-2, small size, battery power, can be seen on stage
    Korg CA-30, Very small size, battery power, very inexpensive
    Korg DTR-2, rack mountable, very accurate, seen on stage, makes your rack look like R2D2

Buuuut, new policy in Effects: tuners now go to misc. :)
  13. If you're doing guitar setups for a living, cool. Unless your ears are more sensitive than 90+% of the population, a strobe is overkill.

Another vote for the TU-2. The Arion Stage Tuner is probably more in the price range you're talking about. I'd recommend against it, it's slow and not excessively accurate- 10 year old technology. (OTOH the Boss TU-12 is timeless) I've also heard the Danelectro tuner pedal is pretty good- especially for the price.