1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tuner advise

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kenny666, Feb 21, 2008.

1. kenny666

kenny666

Feb 7, 2008
    im looking for a really good bass guitar tuner as the one i've got is crap

im looking at theses:

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Stompbox
    Product Details

£59.99 inc Vat

Product Details for Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Stompbox
    Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Stompbox Description:
    The Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner incorporates BOSS' world renowned TU-Series tuner technology into an ultra-convenient stompbox design. For the first time ever, guitarists and bassists can now tune their instruments with BOSS accuracy with just a single stomp.
    Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Stompbox Features:
    BOSS world-renowned TU-Series tuner accuracy in a convenient stompbox design
    Mute/Bypass select for silent tuning with a single stomp
    11-point LED indicators and new "stream" meter display tuning discrepancy via speed and direction of LED's (speed of LED movement gets slower as pitch becomes more accurate)
    7-segment LED displays string and note names, easily visible on dark stages
    Seven easy tuning modes include Chromatic, Guitar Regular, Guitar Flat, Guitar Double Flat, Bass Regular, Bass Flat, Bass Double Flat
    Tuning mode setting and display style choice stored in memory
    Adjustable reference pitch from 438 to 445Hz
    Footswitchable Tuner Off mode preserves battery life by disabling LED's

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Behringer BTR2000 Rack Tuner
    Product Details

£59.99 inc Vat

Similar products to Behringer BTR2000 Rack Tuner
    Behringer TU300 Chromatic Tuner £38.00 less

Product Details for Behringer BTR2000 Rack Tuner
    Ultra-Flexible, Auto-Chromatic 2-Channel Tuner with Metronome and Integrated Racklight.
    Super-accurate tuning for electric and acoustic instruments with tons of flexibility-all at a truly amazing price! This multi-functional tuner with a built-in microphone offers 11 different tuner modes ("chromatic", "banjo" or open tunings). Choose between manual or automatic A-tone standard pitch calibration from 428 Hz to 452 Hz in 1-Hz increments, transposable by a maximum of 7 semitones for especially flexible tuning. There are two separate input channels accessible via front and back connectors (controllable via optional footswitch). In addition to the tuner functionality, the BTR2000 features a useful metronome. It's adjustable from 30 to 240 bpm, with both an audible and a visual beat indicator. You can also work on-the-fly with the manual TAP tempo function. The integrated, switchable rack light with powerful LEDs gives you absolute control over the gear in your rack. The BTR2000 is ideal for professional stage and studio use and provides an unsurpassed degree of accuracy.

Features:

Multi-functional tuner including built-in microphone for use with acoustic instruments
    Useful metronome, adjustable from 30 to 240 bpm with audible and visual beat indicator. You can also work on-the-fly with the manual TAP tempo function
    Integrated, switchable racklights with high-power LEDs for absolute control over your rack gear
    11 different tuner modes (e. g. "chromatic", "banjo" or open tunings) based on 12 equally tempered tones
    Manual or automatic A-tone standard pitch calibration from 428 Hz to 452 Hz in 1-Hz increments, transposable by a maximum of 7 semitones for especially flexible tuning
    Adjustable resolution of the LED bar (5 Cent/LED vs. 1 Cent/LED) enables precise tuning up to the cent, which allows for user-defined tuning systems
    Two separate input channels accessible via front and back connectors (controllable via optional footswitch)
    Additional 1/4' TS output for metronome click/reference tone - perfect for monitoring and practice applications
    True hardware bypass for highest signal integrity between input and output
    Practical Mute function for direct signal muting during tuning (controllable via optional footswitch)
    High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korg TM40 Tuner/Metronome
    Product Details

£24.99 inc Vat

Similar products to Korg TM40 Tuner/Metronome
    Korg GA-30 Guitar/Bass Tuner £10.00 less

Product Details for Korg TM40 Tuner/Metronome
    The TM-40 offers both tuner and metronome functions simultaneously or independently. Its large LCD-type needle delivers both the accuracy of an LCD and the excellent visibility of a needle indicator. It also has LED indicators that show pitch deviation or blink to indicate the tempo, making the TM-40 a highly visual tool.
    With a detection range of C1 (32.70 Hz)~C8 (4186.01 Hz), the TM-40 provides quick and accurate coverage of a wide spectrum of notes and pitches for wind, string, keyboard and most other instruments. Even low-pitched instruments with complex overtone structures are detected with the precision you expect from Korg. A built-in high-sensitivity mic allows acoustic instruments such as guitar and ukulele to be tuned easily and accurately, and the separately sold CM-100 contact mic can be used to send the vibrations directly to the tuner for even greater precision.

In addition to the visual tuning guide provided by the meter, you can use the TM-40’s built-in speaker to produce a tuning reference pitch (Sound Out). This is convenient for tuning by ear and also useful for ear training. By pressing the Sound switch you can select the reference pitch from A5 to B ? 4 (usually used as the tuning standard for wind instruments). And by holding down the Sound switch, you can select a mode in which you step through chromatic pitches from C4 to C5 (one octave).

When intervals of a third are played out of tune in the context of a brass band, orchestra, or other ensemble, it is particularly noticeable. But those intervals can be made to blend more pleasantly by slightly adjusting them (relative to the equal-tempered pitch) to a pure major or minor third. The TM-40’s meter scale provides markings to indicate pitches of a pure major and pure minor third relative to a selected pitch. By tuning your instrument so that the meter’s indicator needle points to these markings, you can ensure beautiful harmonies when playing in an ensemble. This capability is very useful not only for wind instruments, but also for vocal or a cappella practice.

Beat mode lets you choose a preset tempo and time signature, and Tap mode lets you specify your own tempo. The compact TM-40’s contains a large speaker that produces a clear and distinct metronome sound.

The TM-40 contains thirteen types of rhythms that cover 0–7 beats per measure as well as doublets, triplets, triplets with center beats omitted, quadruplets, and quadruplets with center beats omitted.* Tempo is easily adjustable in a range of 40–208 beats per minute (bpm). Sophisticated rhythms, such as triplets/quadruplets with center beats omitted, give you the flexibility to cover a wide range of styles from classical to rock and jazz. Since the volume is adjustable, the TM-40 can meet the needs of any situation, from private practice in a small room to sessions in a large studio.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

myself i think the boss would be the best one but im not to sure
    any ideas welcome

thanks

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Out of those options, I'd go with the Boss. Personally, I've been jonesing for a Petersen Stroboflip for a while now.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The best functioning tuner I've ever used, as far as quick pick-up of strings and tones, particularly the low "B" string, is a $15 Korg tuner. Go figure.

4. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

My $15.00 Korg is almost a whole step sharp. You must have got the quality from my tuner too!

5. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not familiar with the ones in your list but I have the Planet Waves Pedal Tuner. It's easily the best tuner I've ever used, fast and accurate. I originally wanted a rack mount tuner. I wanted my whole rig in one rack, less to carry and easy set up. So I bought a used rack mount Sabine RT-1601, it's slow to tune, I guess because it's way too precise. The slightest, imperceptible nudge of a tuning key will, according to the 1601, take the string out of tune. I play a few tunes in drop D, with the Planet Waves I can get down there really quick, the band does not have to wait for me at all.

Anyway, back to the point, of the tuners in your list, I would recommend a pedal tuner over a rack mount. Whichever has the biggest/brightest/easiest to read display. With a rack mount you have to go back to your rack every time and hit the mute to re-tune (unless you do the annoying audible tuning in front of an audience thing of course), or you can add a pedal switch for it but then you are no better off than using a pedal tuner.

6. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    Go Peterson Stroboflip or strobostomp. I've had it over 6 months and have never had to change the batteries. Tunes accuratly and does tons more.

7. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I have owned and used tuners in pedals, racks, onboard, A/C ,battery, you name it. Korg, BOSS ,Sabine, strobo,etc.

My two favorites thus far: 1)The intellitouch clip on- works on any instrument, has a huge display for its size and unlike most other tuners of all designs, you can read the display on a bright sunny day.

2) the built-in tuner in my BOSS ME50B. Another great display, and rock solid in its tracking.

JKT

8. My first tuner was a Boss TU-12 that cost about $70. A needle tuner struggled with the E on my four string. When I got a five it was pretty useless. I was well on my way to justifying one of the Peterson strobo tuners when a friend let me try their Korg TM-40. It handles the low B without any problems. And for about $25 is an unbeatable deal.

Having said that I would like to get a Peterson tuner... perhaps once more of my income is disposable...

Phalex - Is your tuner set so A=440hz?

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I have always been really happy with my Korg tuners. I have a Kort DTM that I got back in 1994. Still working like a charm, but that was around $200 (has a metronome too). Handles the low B very well.

I have another Korg that's much smaller. I can't remember the model, but it can fit in your pocket. It's fast and accurate but doesn't handle the low B very well.

Joe

10. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    That cheapy Korg? Yeah, it's supposed to be. There's something wrong with it.

11. troy2003

troy2003

Aug 29, 2007
    MN
    I had an Intellitouch clamp on tuner when they first came out-I,and a lot of other people,had problems.The battery door wouldn't hold the battery in well enough for it to workI heard there was a recall on them.Have seen a lot of people using them now with no problems.I have a Boss TU-2 tuner,have had it for a couple of years.Absolutely love it.Would get another one in a NY second.

12. I'm not familiar with very many tuners - but my pick is the Boss TU-2. Why?

• It's plenty accurate enough
    • It mutes while tuning - also handy when moving around or swapping instruments
    • It's bulletproof-durable
    • It's easy to see when performing
    • It can be used as part of the Boss power/pedal system

I hear people agonizing about how accurate tuners are, but I started playing in the 60's when there were NO electric tuners, and everyone either tuned from a pitchpipe or in an orchestra, tuned to a single note played by the lead violin. We generally used the open G string as a starting point, then tuned across the strings using the 5th fret to tune the next string down to the one we already had tuned. And NO ONE worried about the degree of inacuracy resulting! When it's close enough to please your ear, it's close enough. Go out and play.

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Aye, an' it were all fields. If tha wanted summat t'eat then it were ten mile on Shanks' pony to beg a crust off t'gaffer.

Them were the days.

14. Yar. (Hack, cough, spit, scratch.):p

15. kenny666

kenny666

Feb 7, 2008
    thanks for the help i'll look about at the ideas you've giving me.

16. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I did not know that. I have talked a number of folks into them and they all love them. The battery falling out would be a bummer...

JKT

17. Depends on what you want. You listed three different types of tuners.

If you want a tuner + metronome I'd say a Cherub WMT-555C. Easily my favorite even though it's an unknown brand. I hear the Korg is good, too. Stay away from the Boss one. The metronome sucks. It isn't loud and has no volume control.

If you want a pedal tuner than either the Korg DT-10, Korg Pitchblack, Boss TU-2, Planetwaves pedal tuner, or the Peterson Strobostomp will get you there. I'm partial to the Korg models, even though the Peterson is "the best."

If you want a rack tuner there's plenty available. The Korg DTR series seems to be a big favorite.

18. troy2003

troy2003

Aug 29, 2007
    MN
    The Intellitouch I had problems with was like 6 years ago.I have seen a lot of them now and everyone raves about them.I loved mine.At the time I was a bluegrass guitarist and it was nice to tune even while everyone was playing.I had to wrap the battery door with duct tape and sometimes had to squeeze the door to get it to turn on.I did hear they had a bad run of them early on but from what I can tell,it has been resolved.Good tuner,but I like my Boss TU-2.

19. MOTTOB

MOTTOB

Jun 30, 2007
    Syracuse
    Endorsing Artist: Air Bass Customs
    Boss TU-2. No questions asked.

I play 5 string and use a TU-2. Started playing at church 4 years ago. Was the only TU-2 user at the time. Now EVERYONE at church, guitar players and other bass players owns and exclusivly uses the TU-2

It's bullet proof, accurate, repeatable, easy to use, easy to read. The Mute function is great for switching instruments without driving the FOH sound guys crazy or just muting between songs even if your not tuning.

You don't have to use it in line with your instrument if you have a tuner out on your amp. I sometimes just plug it into my tuner out and it's displaying my tuning while I play. Trackes very quickly, so I can tell if my intonation of off on a particular string. You can accomplish this in-line with your instrument by using the non-muting output (there are two outputs - muting and non-muting)

Boss TU-2 - You will NOT be disappointed!!!!!

20. If we are thinking about the same tuner, it's quick, but:

a) no backlight, hard to do any tuning let's say if you are at a jam session fixing your bass before going up on stage, and usually it's pretty dark outside the stage itself.
    b) no bypass so you can't have the tuner hooked to the amp and re-tune during the set.

Basically those two plus quick tuning is all I request from a tuner.

--Kent