1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuner slippage

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by fsanfili, Mar 13, 2008.

1. fsanfili

fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My D-string tuner was slipping, as though the tension of the string, when in tune, was too great, and causing the post the string was wrapped around to turn. I noticed that the tuning key turned really easy for about a quarter turn (around where the string was in tune) but that if I tuned a half-step sharp or flat, there seemed to be enough friction to keep the string at that pitch.

So I found a new use for rosin -- thinking maybe there was just too much oil or something on the gear at that point, I rubbed rosin into it and worked the tuning key back and forth.

I'm sure there's some reason not to do this, butI only had a few hours til the gig, and no time to get to a luthier. It seems to have done the trick!

Just posting in case anyone has a similar problem in the future and does a search for a quick fix. I am not a luthier and for all I know this may do irreperable harm to your bass, but there you have it.