1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denial54, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    I've been looking for a tuner lately and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. My last few gigs I have been using some old tuners that really let me down and have decided that I really need a quality one. I'm looking for a stompbox or a reasonably priced Rack Mount. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to get, or which one not to get?

2. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    Boss TU-2

easy to use and very reliable

3. Korg DT-10 series no doubt. The best in that price range.

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Korg DT-1, 2, or used 1000

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Absolutely! The DT-10 is 3x more accurate than the Boss, has a better bypass and costs less. It was a no-brainer for me. Good luck.

6. WoollyMammoth

WoollyMammoth Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    OK I use a Peterson virtual strobe tuner for setting intonation and any fancy stuff and I guess the strobo stomp would be great. However the Boss-TU2 is very reliable and easy to use live and fast but not as accurate ( but almost if you use the stream function )

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Actually, changing the display mode won't change the accuracy of the tuner. The Boss is accurate within 3 cents, but the Korg is accurate within 1 cent. The Peterson Tuners, though, are pinpoint accurate within 0.1 cents. You pay through the nose for that accuracy though.

Korg is by far the best compromise of accuracy and price.

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I use a Strobo now, but if it ever fails I will replace it with a Korg (unless something better eventually hits the market at that price).

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I am happy with my Korg DT-10.

10. another one for the Korg DT-10

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Does the DT-10 power other pedals like the TU-2 does?

I did some quick A/B'ing last night and as much as I like the Boss for all it's features and stuff, it does suck tone kinda bad. I had been using it in my EB VP Jr's. output so it didn't matter, but I took that off to make room for my X2's receiver so that's no longer there.

Did Planet Waves ever come out with their second version of tuner that has the indicator light? I had the first version and while that was a pain, it was pretty much true bypass as advertised and acted as a power supply like the TU-2.

12. From Musiciansfriend...

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    What I needed to know!

14. i just got the new version of the planet waves stomp tuner. seems to work great...i dropped in going into my first gig onto cement and it gotta scuff and thats about it. its like $40 cheaper (canadian) than the boss and i think pretty comparable in terms of accuracy/durability. I recommend it!

15. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Peterson Strobostomp!

16. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I've had my DT-2 rack tuner for over 10 years and it still looks brand new in my rack. I love having it always on. Its hooked up to the tuner out jack on my pre amp and when I hit my pre amps mute switch, I can change basses or tune without anyone hearing.

The Korg units are really good. eother rack or the DT10. I really like the look of the black version as a pedal.

17. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanks for all the reply's guys.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021