Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by J-75, Jun 14, 2005.

1. J-75

Jun 1, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Excuse me, if this is not the appropriate forum,

Any recommendations? Chromatic type preferred. Negative comments?
    Seiko, Yamaha, Boss, Korg, ...?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think a standard tuner will suit most people, but most standard tuners (say, a Korg GC-20 or some such) work fine. Most will tune a 6 string (B-C), but if you're getting into the 7 string + game, then you'll probably want a chromatic.

I hear the Boss floor pedal, TU-1.2933223 or some such, is pretty snazzy.
  3. I use a Sabine RT7100 and love it.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have 2...one's in my BOSS VF-1 effects unit and the other's in my Tascam CDBTMKII trainer....both are chromatic.
  5. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I have the Boss TU-2. Serves me quite well. I have the rest of my effects daisied off it through a One Spot power supply, so it serves a dual purpose: I get to stay in tune AND avoid the 9-volt nightmare.

Plus, it's chromatic, and can handle more than just 4 or 5 strings if that's an issue.
  6. I've got a Boss TU-12H that's served me well for around 12 years or so. I've had a Boss TU-2 that I really like as well.

I have a Korg rack tuner (the 1000 model) that I don't like other than it's a rack unit. It's too accurate. It takes a long time to get balanced onto "on" when you audibly can't hear a difference if it's slightly "off."
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I have a Korg CA-30 and don't have this problem, but I hate using my friend's Traynor tuner because it's REALLY finicky like that. A total pain.

I love the CA-30 -- very compact, accurate, chromatic, and inexpensive.
  8. +1

Something else you might like to think about is where you will be using it. On a dark stage, you need something with LEDs so that you can see when it is tuned. At an outdoor event, you need an LCD display, because LEDs disappear in sunlight. I would also suggest that you should be able to mute your backline or PA feed while you check your tuning.

My tuner is not a 'thru' design, so I run it from one of my amp fx sends, and connect a mute switch between the pre and power amps.
  9. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I use the Korg CA30. I have the current model and have owned the model/version before it. In fact-the only reason why i bought the one i have now is because it fell out of my pocket while i was plugging a cable in and the screen busted.

That's all