1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuners

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Toronado455, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Toronado455

Toronado455

Feb 27, 2008
    I want to get a backlit tuner. I've currently got the little Korg AW-1 clip-on tuner which works really well, but it doesn't have a light.

I recently purchased a cheap backlit clip-on tuner on eBay, (TuneTech TT-1000) which I can't get to work at all with the bass. It might work OK for guitars (I haven't tried it) but I need something that works with arco double bass.

Ideally, I'd like a clip-on tuner because the separate clip-on contact mics always seem to break. But if there is no such thing as a good, backlit clip-on tuner then I will just try to find a more robust clip-on contact mic to use with a tuner that has a 1/4" input jack.

Anytime I've borrowed someone's Boss TU-12 I've liked it a lot. It seems to work really well for bowed tuning.

I'm trying to decide between the three Boss tuners, TU-12, TU-12H, and TU-15. According to the Boss web site specs, the TU-15 can sense lower frequencies than either of the TU-12 models (down to 20.60 Hz as opposed to 32.70 Hz for the TU-12 models) but I don't know if that makes it a better tuner in real life use. And I've not had any experience using the TU-15 personally.

Korg seems to make a few nice backlit tuners, but I have no experience using those.

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I have had a Boss TU-12 forever. Wth a clip-on pickup it has always worked perfectly. The only downside it that it's fairly large.

3. For when there's no oboe, I always have a tuning fork in my bib pocket. A very high tech piece of gear; cutting edge even. 100% reliability and gauranteed to last a lifetime!

4. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Low E, E1, is 41.2 Hz, so unless you have an extension or a 5-string I don't see why you would need to go down below that.

I use a small clip-on tuner by Intelli that I attach to the bridge:
    http://www.fretstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=966
    and tune to the octave haromics on each string. This tuner is small, well lit, and inexpensive.

Jim

5. You would do well to spend the extra dough and get a Peterson tuner; you won't regret it. They are very accurate and have no problems latching on to the lower pitches. Trying to tune the E string is a nightmare with most tuners I've had.

The Stroboflip comes with a clip-mic if there is a lot of background noise, and there is a little mount for putting the tuner on a music or mic stand. I usually just tune up with the built in mic before the place gets busy.

The back-lit screen is brilliant.

6. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Have you checked out intellitouch tuners? They are very low profile clip on tuners that work tolerabley well, and they have a back lit model (the white one, I think).

7. the tune tech he has and the itellitouch are identical. the pitch pocket works much better than either, in my experience.

Johnny