tuning down...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mr tea, Mar 11, 2005.

1. mr tea

mr tea

Mar 9, 2005
    hello there the hive mind that is talk bass,

my band recently got a new singer in whos voice is not as high as our old so we are trying tuning our guitars down a tone (to D). should i be adjusting anything, getting thicker strings, or getting my bas set up again? and would it be better to tune all the strings down a tone or just drop the E down to D?

i hope someone is able to help?

2. If you down-tune, you will be loosening the strings, so the truss rod may pull the neck back further, and give you low action and fret buzz. If it does, you need to adjust the truss rod - search on 'set up' or similar for various links to intructions for that. If it doesn't, no worries.

If you just drop the E, you will have to relearn many of your finger patterns for the different tuning - why not bite the bullet and learn to play in D on a standard tuned bass?
  3. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    We've tuned down a half step for years. A lot of national acts do it. Our guitar player kept breaking strings just through normal playing... now it rarely occurs. It's easier on the voice too.

I didn't change anything and my basses were fine.
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Rather than having the band tune down have the singer get tighter underwear..
    Seriously though, why don't you get a five string and learn the tunes properly in the new keys if you need that low D??
    If you can't or won't do that then tune the whole bass down and get it set up..