Tuning Drop C

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by z4knerd, Feb 10, 2005.

1. z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    Well, I have my first "try-out" with a band, and they play heavy rock and tune drop c... well I tuned my bass drop - c and i am curious - how should I change the neck/truss rod so the strings aren't overly loose and flappy? i am meeting the guys on saturday and really need some advice in this ;x thanks in advance!
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Buy a five string set and then leave off the G. String it up and see if the action/truss/intonation needs to be adjusted.

If you join the band I would then widen the nut and bridge to accomodate the strings better. Wouldn't worry about it if you didn't want to tune that way for a while.
  3. that OR you can just go out and buy some GHS heavy guage strings. 50-115. :oops: I'm currently playing off of Ernie Ball powerslinkies on my fender p-deluxe and i can tune down as far as a somewhat floppy low f#. i'm pretty sure if i took the ghs strings i'd have little to no problem tuning down anotehr halfstep from what i usually play (Drop D)
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You'll generally be able to keep the stiffer feel using a new set of strings of any type that has never been tuned up to 440. Of course, heavier strings will feel better. They also sound better at that pitch.

Once you bring strings up to standard pitch, and then, detune them back down that far, they will feel flabbier, as you have stretched them out.

If you do it repeatedly, they'll eventually sound like trash or even break.

If it is a setup you end up keeping, you'll have to loosen the truss as the strings will create less tension detuned like that.

If you decide to go with a fiver set and throw out the G, you should get a the lightest set you can find. Even then you may have to tighten the trussrod a bit to offset the additional tension of being tuned up a 1/2 step.
  5. I agree, i would do that me too. Slipknot does it too, paul has the four lowest strings of the 5 strings set (BEAD) (and mick and james have the six lowest strings of the 7 strings set)
  6. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Do any of you use a Hipshot detuning machine? I just bought one off ebay, but I haven't received it yet. I'd like to be able use a standard E string to switch between E and low C. I use GHS Boomers, but I believe the E is only .105 guage. So, basically what I am asking is: 1.) Does the Hipshot do a good job of allowing me to switch between C and E without having to tune every time (if I have to tune every time, I might as well not even use the hipshot) and 2.) Will I have a ridiculously floppy string when it is at C (btw: I have a 34" scale Jazz). Thanks! :)
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    the hipshot should be fine if you are leaving the rest of the strings at standard pitch. If you are taking all 4 strings down 2 whole steps you probably want to use the above methods and have your bass setup specifcially for that tuning.
  8. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    All the other will be at standard tuning. Thanks for your help. I know feel much more comfortable with my purchase ;)